A holiday in Germany

Kronenburgerhutte Travel Blog

Almost there now.
A few months ago, some friends and I decided to go on a holiday together, since we all desperately needed one. After a little discussion, we decided on a cabin in Germany that we spotted on-line. We made reservations, rented a car and halfway October, we were off.
A good four-hour drive later we arrived at the campingplatze where we picked up the key to the cabin. It was a small thing with three rooms; a bedroom with four bunkbeds, giving room to eight people, the livingroom with an open kitchen and the bathroom with a toilet and a shower. The livingroom had a table with eight chairs and a wobbly cupboard. Sure enough, it was smaller than it seemed on the pictures we had seen.

Since there were seven of us and there wasn't a couch, we looted the remaining bunk of it's matress and sheets to make one.
The infamous cabin.
We managed to survive pretty good in the remaining 4 days, given the little room we had. Day one was pretty much exploration. We tried to find a supermarket, which we found after about an hour and a half of driving around aimlessly. After that we went back home to cook and basically just spend the rest of the night drinking and playing games.
On day two we decided to check out the old Kronenburg village centre, which had a ruine and everything. It was a scenic little place, lots of pretty little houses, and climbing the ruine made for a fun walk, but as it happens with small villages that are pretty much dead during autumn, we went through there pretty fast. There was a map of the surroundings nearby where we parked the cars, so we set out a route for a small hike in what we thought would be a big forest.
The bedroom.
Which it was, although it turned out to be a production forest, which made the nature surrounding us a bit boring. Nevertheless, it was a fun walk. When we got back home, we had pizza at the ready and we spent the rest of the night in a hilarious game of Monopoly.
Day three was spent at Phantasia Land, an amusementpark near Köln. Much fun was had, much rides were ridden and I even got the obligatory souvenir keyring and photograph. Which was actually timed pretty well, since my old keyring had fallen off not long before. After the amusementpark we set course to Köln itself for dinner, which we found at a cozy little inn. As one would expect, pretty much everyone ordered a schnitzel and I have to admit, mine was pretty damned good. On the way home we got a little excitement we hoped we wouldn't get; the gas was running dangerously low and we hadn't seen a gasstation for miles.
The kitchen.
It was about ten minutes before we arrived back at the cabin that we saw a big reststop. All the way from Köln to home, a damned long drive, there was none to be found, save for that last one. We were saved. Truth be told, I was impressed by our rental, which was my car for the week, since this was the first time I had to fill it up since we left our homes in Tilburg. That's a drive from the Netherlands to Germany, several trips, including the long one to Köln, and this was the first refill it got. Talk about environmental friendly.
Day four was spent at some mines near Trier, where I found out that my German was better than I had thought. I understood everything the guide told us pretty clearly, so that was pretty awesome.
Kronenburg.
Impressive story, too. After that we went to Trier to shop for a bit. I got a couple of CD's (Both of them by Me First & The Gimmie Gimmies) and a new jacket (Which got Guinness spilt on it the day we got back and went to the pub. Not my fault though, some guy knocked it over and my coat happened to be under it.) Even though it had been a rainy day, we spent most of that time in the mines. In Trier it didn't rain for a good while, except for when we were having dinner. As soon as we got outside, it stopped raining again. Awesome.
Day five, the final day, was spent packing and cleaning. We decided to swing by Duisburg on our way home, since it was close to the border. Had coffee there, bought more CD's and DVD's (A New Found Glory, Millencollin, Mucky Pup and Rancid, live in Tokyo) and then continued home again.

All in all I had a great time. I got to know my friends better, everything went well and we all got the vacation we needed. I can't wait 'till we do it again.
The ruins.
The ruins.
Kronenburgerhutte Hostels review
Scenic cabin by a lake for a vrey reasonable price.
If you plan on spending a week in a cabin with some friends, this is a very good choice. The price is neglectable when shared and the surroundings are… read entire review