Penang trip - Day 1

Penang Travel Blog

with friends at Penang Hill

Due to some personal reasons, which I don’t think need to be mentioned here, my dear friend and travel buddy Anai decided to halt her Malaysia stay and continue her career back home. At the same time, our friend Gilbert (lolo) also resigned and did the same thing. So to make their last few weeks in Malaysia more memorable, we (Anai, Gilbert, Gen, and I) decided to have our well-deserved weekend break in Penang!

As usual, being the busiest slash parasite in the group, I did nothing in organizing this trip. From booking the accomodation, preparing the itinerary, Anai did everything. Even buying the bus ticket which she travelled from PJ to KL took her like an hour and so whereas the station is just few blocks away from my office, she still did that.

diff facial expression hehe
See how good friend I am. Needless to say, all I did was packed my things and showed up hehehe.

We all met at Pudu Raya bus station. Our bus is scheduled to leave early in the morning. Based from what we know, it will take us 5 hours to go to Georgetown. And based from our own experiences, buses usually always delayed so we weren’t that much worried. And alas, we were delay by like an hour. But then again, we weren’t that bothered because it was still too early in the morning so we will arrive in Penang just in time. So off we go.

Surprisingly, we arrived at Georgetown earlier than we expect. I was just like chatting with them in the bus, had a very short stopover for whoever wants to wee-wee or pooh-pooh, then had a quick nap, and the next thing we know we were already there in Penang.

Everyone alighted at Georgetown bus station including the American backpacker which we had a brief chitchat in KL while we were waiting for our bus. We noticed that he is following us so we asked him where he planned to go. By the way, he is travelling alone, knows no one, doesn’t have the place to stay yet, and doesn’t know where to go yet. So we asked him to check the place that we booked-in. From the look on his face, he was kinda lost as he was just relying on his travelling book and seemed like wanted to join our group. But the big problem is, we can’t fit on the cab anymore. We are already 4 BIG people (* these girl friends of mine are generally taller than the usual Asian girls as they’re like 5’7 and 5’8 in height...and Gilbert is .. erm... plump hihihi :P) So we can’t afford to add another one. We tried few cab drivers if they will allow us but all we got is a big NO... just looking at me, can’t blame them though hehe. I was about to suggest to get two cabs instead, but Gilbert already courteously talked to the guy and said sorry that we can’t help him anymore.
yummy!
To be honest, I feel bad because I didn’t do anything about it. I could have done this and could have done that... but all I did was stood there and did nothing. I just really hoped that he was fine and managed to find a place to stay.

Going back to our trip, we arrived at Mingood Hotel way too early that the check-in time. But good thing, the room we booked is already available. We booked a room with 4 single beds for a night. The room is tidy with basic necessities but a bit old and worn-out. The place is quiet and safe, a bit far from the busy drive but all in all in general it’s OK.

After we checked-in our things, we headed outside and looked for a place to have our breakfast. Hmm I forgot what we ordered, if I am not mistaken, we all had our pork rice meal and dumplings and of course the famous white coffee (tama ba Anai? Hehe).

It was a very relaxing moment away from dreary meetings, from demanding management and users’ calls, from all production and never-ending development issues, away from my busy like in KL so to speak. We talked, we laughed the whole time ‘til 10am when Anai contacted a cab driver and hired him to tour us around the place for that day.

We went back to our hotel and waited ‘til 11am. I would say this is a very good idea. No need to worry about how to get from one place to another especially to those who don’t have the luxury of time to see the town by their own means. The cab will bring you wherever you like whenever you want.

First stop is Kek Lok Si or better known as the Temple of Supreme Bliss.

This is a Buddhist temple located on the suburb area of Georgetown and halfway up the hill. Reputedly the largest Buddhist temple in SEA, I would say the scenery is good, the location is cool, and the place is very serene. And it’s well-maintained. We took as many pictures as we could and stayed there for an hour then we decided to go to the next destination.

Next is Penang Hill or locally well-known as Bukit Bendera. The place is 2750 foot high and way cooler than in the city below. They used to have a funicular railway that will bring you to the top, and change trains halfway. But when we went there, it was under construction. So the only option we have was to rent a 4-wheel drive car that will bring us to the top. The roads were very steep! Love the way the driver manoeuvre the car all the way up. It was a nice ride! And there were so many monkeys along the side! Too bad, the Canopy Walk was also under construction! But the cool and refreshing atmosphere, overlooking the panoramic view of Georgetown and the Strait of Melaka, is more than enough to recommend this place for a must-place-to-visit here in Penang.

BIOMAN! hehehe
Again, we took many cool pictures left and right.

After Penang Hill, we went back to downtown to have our late lunch. If my memory serves me right, the place is somewhere along the Batu Ferringhi main road area, though we didn’t stay there long as we only want to have something fill-in on our empty stomach. We roamed around the city, passed-by mosque after mosque after mosque, beautiful architectural structures along the way. We went to souvenir shops to buy something that we can bring back to KL. Went to a shop that creates “batik”- a hand-made craft painted in clothe.  And of course, we bought their famous white coffee!  In different flavours such as the regular one, choco-mocca, orange, cappuccino, etc. Not obvious they love coffee (I actually don’t fancy coffee that much, I only bought the cappuccino and mocca).

rotten coconut hehehe
After that, we decided to spend the afternoon in Ferringhi shore. We didn’t swim as we never anticipated that we will go to beach or whatsoever. So we just soaked our feet and played on the sand. Stayed for a while and enjoy the bright sunshine. And of course, camwhores never fail to take many pictures.  J

Before sunset, since Gilbert needs to go back to KL that night due to some prior engagement (yes he travelled for almost 5 hrs just for a day trip!) we asked the cab driver to bring us first to the bus station so he can check for bus schedule and buy ticket as well.  After he settled everything for that night’s trip, we finally asked the cab driver to bring us home to rest and refresh for the night.

That night, we decided to have our dinner at very popular Gurney Drive. This is a stretch of road or esplanade facing the Penang’s sea. This is one of Penang’s most happening social areas that is centred on the culture of dining! The whole strength is made for dining it is! A lot of options to choose from! Geez, I forgot the place where we ate. But it was like a huge open restaurant that serves fresh seafoods! Yummy! J

After our sumptuous dinner, we hangout and walk along the stretch (sort of like a baywalk area).

Around 10pm, we accompanied Gilbert to find a cab that will bring him to the bus station going back to KL. Very tired and sleepy, we all decided to go back to our hotel and called the night off.

jegs76 says:
hindi batang mabait ka, Mały!
U could go in two cabs! hahahaha
Posted on: Jan 21, 2009
analyn30 says:
yep, it was a fun trip indeed! i had a blast! oh, and i noticed that you did a research on the temples that we've visited.. how did i know? 'cause I can barely remember them (which proves that I'm not a geek after all :P)
Posted on: Jan 04, 2009
I am superman!
I am superman!
do I still have enough money for t…
do I still have enough money for …
who got the biggest mouth? :P
who got the biggest mouth? :P
fell asleep after dinner
fell asleep after dinner
wacky pose :)
wacky pose :)
wala lang... :)
wala lang... :)
one of many jump attempts ;)
one of many jump attempts ;)
just figure out... :P