AsiaJapanNagoya

I need a room for a night

Nagoya Travel Blog

My hotel. You would never know without this sign.
Started the day in Tokyo and felt like home.  The morning broke with overcast weather and light rain.  Prefect for someone from Vancouver.  Today I decided to stay closer to the hotel because I had a shinkasen reservation for later in the day.

After a quick breakfast I just started walk in the opposite direction of the JR station for no other reason then I had not before.  By accident I found a street where they sold everything for kitchens no matter if it was for a large sized hotel kitchen or just someones one room flat kitchen.  The region I later learned was called Kappabashi and I guess to some people it is very famous.  At least I could understand what each of the items were if my cooking skills are in line with my computer skills.
I guess it is a seafood restaurant.
  Man you must be starting to think I have no skills.

The rain was starting to get to me so I figured it was time to head to Tokyo Station for a ride to Nagoya.  My original plan was to actually go north from Tokyo to watch a hockey game between to Japanese professional teams but after email with another TB members I deiced to go visit her in Nagoya.  If you have the chance to be in Nagoya look up Gloria (momiji).  She knows her town very well and is a lot of fun and turns out a lot of help.

This was the start of some sort of holiday weekend in Japan and the shinakansen was very busy.  I was forced to sit on the floor of the Tokyo Station while I waited for the train to arrive as anything that resembled a seat or bench was occupied by several Japanese people.
I like Coke
  As expected the train arrived prefectly on schedule and I was quickly being transported to the city of Nagoya.

Just before I left Tokyo I phoned Gloria and got some directions to meet her.  After one false start when I walked out the wrong exit at Nagoya Station I was waiting for her in front of a coffee shop.  I was very early for our meet so I did walk around a bit.  I was a little confused as I saw a lot of Boy Scouts blocking roads and plenty of street cleaner machines on the road.  I learned that this weekend was the biggest festival in Nagoya calendar and I had just missed a parade.

Just before the scheduled meet time I was getting a bit nervous.  How would we find each other?  We only had photos of each other from Travel Buddies and there were a lot of people around.
Central Park
  I had counted on it being easier for her to find me as I thought I would be the only white guy around but that was not the case as several other western guys were in the same location waiting for people.  My worries were unfounded as perfectly on schedule Gloria showed up and walked directly to me.

Poor Gloria was put to work by me first thing.  She saw me still with my backpack and ask me why I had not left it at my hotel.  I had to tell her I had not made a reservation  and we needed to find me a hotel.  She was very surprised because she thought I knew it was a festival weekend in Nagoya and all hotel rooms were sold.  The good thing is she knows of some small business hotels and without too much stress she found me a small hotel not from our location.
I really like Coke

After checking in we were off to one of her favorite Japanese pubs (izakaya).  The pub specialty is chicken and almost all of its dishes were chicken based.  It all was very good and the beer was even decently priced.  Gloria had to work the next morning and had to take a train back to her place so just before midnight she said goodbye and I was left to explore Nagoya night on my own.  I went for a small walk but due to the fact that jet lag still had not disappeared and my hotel had a curfew I went back to my hotel before too long.

Next time I am in Japan I hope to find more time to say hello to Gloria.  Next time I promise to make a hotel reservation before arriving.
Aquedita says:
You're so lucky you didn't got here in summer time. Believe me, it was SO crazy hot! :P
Posted on: Dec 28, 2008
momiji says:
Thanks for coming to Nagoya. Yeah next time you come here, you better book a hotel :)
Posted on: Dec 28, 2008
My hotel.  You would never know wi…
My hotel. You would never know w…
More Central Park