Hey this place is alright

Singapore Travel Blog

Some houses near the temple.
This place really grew on me.  Singapore reminds me of many Japanese cities it that it is clean and the transit works well.  My only problem I had with this place was the heat and humidity.  Heck Singapore is only a little north of the Equator so what do you expect.

We spent the first day wandering around without much of a plan.  Our first destination was the Sakya Muni Buddha Gaya Temple.  My guidebook mentions that it is a Thai temple so Benny was happy as it had been a while since she had prayed in a proper temple.  Once we got there she was a bit dissapointed as it was Chinese and not Thai but still a very nice temple.  She was able to take care of her worship and we made a small donation to the temple.
Sakya Muni Buddha Gaya Temple

The area around the temple was nice too.  The neighborhood looks to be a nice residential area with some very colorful homes.  It was great to be able to walk around the city without having to worry about getting run over by motor bikes or taxis.  The traffic can be heavy in the city but it never seems to be all that dangerous.

Later we walked around Clark Quay along the Singapore River.  I read this was a warehouse district before and only recently was renovated to an area full of good restaurants and pubs/nightclubs.  It was finally cooling off so we walked along the river and watched the many dinner river boat cruises float past us.  If you do go be prepared to say no a lot.  Every pub and restaurant wants to show you their menu in the hopes you eat there.  The competition looks fierce.

As the darkness arrived the customers changed a lot.  Suddenly there were people dressed as vampires, zombies, crazy doctors and much fake blood make up.  Since we had been traveling for a while I had forgot it was October 31, Halloween.  This is a big party night in Vancouver and it seems like the celebration has taken hold in Singapore.  I had to explain Halloween to Benny but I think she remembered seeing an American movie about this night so she understood quickly.
more cool homes