Getting my hockey fix

Kelowna Travel Blog

Same Sun Lodge.
If you have read some of my other posts you will know my love of hockey is often combined with my love of travel.  Since I was going to be spending weeks in countries where hockey is at best a distant rumour I started my trip to the city of Kelowna 400 km from my home.  I simply jumped in my car and headed to this mid sized city to watch a match in a stadium I had yet to visit.

Kelowna is generally  considered a summer holiday location for residents of Vancouver and Clagary.  The region has many great swimming and fishing lakes and long hot summers.  The whole area is blessed with some of the best sunshine of any part of Canada.
Outside Prospera Place.
  Another attraction to the area are the many vineyards that produce some of Canada's best wine.  However I simply drove there to see a hockey game at the Prospera Place between the hometown Rockets and the Everret Silvertips from Washington State.

I stayed at one of the best hostels I have ever slept in.  the Same Sun Lodge is very close to the lake and it's beach.  It is also within walking distance of the whole downtown part of the city.  The hostel is very easy to find as it is one the main street of the city (Harvey Street) and it is painted the brightest yellow I have ever seen.  In fact the only other building I have ever seen of similar colour is the gym of Edmonton's University of Alberta which the locals used to call the Butter Dome.  The only down side of the hostel was the fact that Harvey Street is also the main highway for truck traffic and my private room looked directly at the road.

I do not remember much from the game (heck it is now 2.5 months later) but I did sit beside a nice young man from Australia.  The game was actaully kind of boring but I did help the Aussie learn a few more things about the best game of the world.
kayguarnay says:
I agree with you about the amazingness of hockey! It's funny that you went to a game before heading off to Asia (good plan!). Do you play as well?
Posted on: Dec 28, 2008
Inside.
Inside.
Inside again
Inside again
Kelowna Hostels review
Best bargain in Kelowna
One of the better hostels I have stayed in. Clean inside with a large kitchen and public areas. Only trouble was the highway was very loud.
Kelowna