Walk of fire - holding onto my stomach, but gets much better from here!

Boulder Creek Travel Blog

she was painting glass stones..
It's been exactly one year since I've flown into San Jose. Last time I was here was to see Charles, who spent a week with me in Carmel at the gorgeous Hyatt timeshare since he lived so close. I forgot what San Jose was like.. =) I arrive at the airport and everywhere you look, there are asian girls and nerdy white guys! =) Jen Kim commented it was a lot like Stuy - our high school =)

Holy cow, Boulder Creek is not easy to get to! Jennifer, who I didn't realize only learned to drive a few months ago, ended up picking me up at the San Jose airport - not far, but when she said it was a windy road, she was not kidding. Windy roads are ok, but we went through about 20 miles of windy roads in the dark and rain and my stomach was having some issues by 2/3rds of the way.
which looked like this =)
Luckily I hadn't eaten anything since 10am!

We manage to get to Vajrapani Institute without too much of an issue. It's pitch black and raindrops are big but scattered. We take off our boots (I find out mine are NOT waterproof) outside the main building and Jennifer shows me the kitchen, the reading area, where the relics are currently being displayed. She introduces me to sutras, or "discourses" and names a few chants and prayers - all of which she says are experiential and not easily described.

There are no restaurants nearby, and the closest store is 25 miles away. I believe this as I haven't seen any sign of life since we went on Bear Creek Road. Luckily, all our needs are taken care of and we have a simple but delicious meal of mushroom soup, brie and crackers and spinach salad with crumbled feta, walnuts and dried cranberries.
He wanted Jennifer to restring a mala (prayer beads)
I will never forget how good everything tasted after a long, hungry day and a windy, bumpy, drive. Hahaa =)

Jennifer shows me to the dormitory since I am allergic to cats - I was going to stay with her and her boyfriend otherwise! But the dormitory was really nice and very private. It's hard to explain how everything you need is already taken care of and the place is very very clean and organized and labeled. With such organization and care, its all but impossible to follow a humble path between these guidelines and just pitch in to make everything work. It reminds me of a commune with the structure, the conservation, but it is similar across centers. This one guy came in after eating an orange and holding the peels asked "where's the compost" - I am guessing all Buddhist centers have one =) It's a pretty cool/interesting sort of community - open, all accepting, etc. Not a bad place to spend at Christmas..

alicegourmet says:
The retreat sounds very nice! :)
Posted on: Dec 26, 2008
TRE69 says:
Happy Christmas Sunshine! I hope the retreat did you some good! =D
Posted on: Dec 25, 2008
vances says:
Hope you enjoy the retreat. Got my wife a zafu for Christmas...highly recommend "Carolina Morning Designs" if you're shopping for one yourself!
Posted on: Dec 25, 2008
which looked like this =)
He wanted Jennifer to restring a m…
He wanted Jennifer to restring a …
Boulder Creek