From the mouth of hell to the blistering sun.

Estoril Travel Blog

Mouth of hell!!!
After having walked so much the past days that my legs and feet hurt like hell, I decided to take a day off. Just relax at the swimming pool, read a book and take it easy. But I failed.

I did go to the swimming pool, after having slept throught the entire morning, but I found myself bored. There was a piece of coast to the west of Cascais that I had not yet seen, so I set out. There was also supposed to be a natural bridge over the gurgling sea, Boca do Inferno. Every folder about Cascais tries to lure tourists to this shoreline, so I thought I'd check it out.

Well, it wasn't that spectacular. In the middle of nowhere there are suddenly a handful of restaurants and dozens of gift shops and some stairs down to the rocky coast.
Estoril at last.
You get a good view of the coastline, which is very impressive, and of this natural bridge in the rocks. I was lucky enough to visit it during ebb, so the sea made a real mess of its waters, banging it against tiny islands under the bridge.

After lunch I set my mind on another quest. Far in the distance I saw the shimmering beaches of the neighboring town Estoril (say Shtoe-reel), and a little castle-like house above the beach. I made it my destination to reach that house, to walk along the boulevard from Cascais to Estoril till I would stand next to it.

It was a real quest all right! It took all day and many ice-creams! But I reached my goal. See the "castle" on the picture! I have fought against myself for that picture! When I got back I was sunstruck and spent the rest of the day in the shades. It was worth it though!
Cascais coast to the west.
From Cascais to Estoril along the …
From Cascais to Estoril along the…
Estoril