Cascais Travel Blog

Beautiful Cascais coast.
My first time in Portugal! I would be staying for a week in a hotel in the lovely town of Cascais, as a base camp so to speak, and from there on vist Lisbon and its surroundings.

I would visit portugal together with my parents, my little brother and my sister and her friend. Over the coming days our paths would greatly diverge. My parents would take it easy, visit Lisbon once and just relax in Cascais. (I have a picture of them, wearing ridiculous hats for sun protection. I am glad they kept themselves hidden in the hotel, hehehe.) My sister and her friend were happy just lying next to the swimming pool at the hotel.

I, however, was determined to make this vacation an adventure and would try to see and visit as much as I can.

I arrived in Cascais in the middle of the afternoon, so i spent the rest of the day in Cascais to relax after the journey. Cascais is not really big, but it is a scenic town. It is really a fisherman's town, as you can discover in the local decorations. Especially blue painted tiles are exhibited all over town and show scenes from the old days, when Cascais was a bustling port town.

Talking about tiles, the Portuguese love them! They often decorate their houses with it. An unusual sight, but quite lovely.

Cascais has a small, but nice beach on the deep blue Atlantic Ocean, hemmed in by protruding rocks. And people still fish here. A fleet of countless little fisher boats occupies the waters. On my way to the city centre, I passed this beach, and also crossed a little bridge. Underneath this bridge the sea floods inland to touch the toes of the preposterous house of the local landlord. I would visit that house another day.

Tomorrow would be the first big day in Lisbon!

babyaly1 says:
I keep trying to click on a smile for this blog, but for some reason it won't let me :o( I just got back from Portugal, I loved it !!
Posted on: Apr 20, 2009
lakers6902 says:
haha the tiles always fascinated me. how much they use em... :)
Posted on: Jan 01, 2009
vosking says:
Plaza del toro is de stierenvecht arena in Cascais. Wordt nog weinig gebruikt voor stierenvechten. Heb dat niet gezien, gelukkig! ;D
Posted on: Dec 31, 2008