Wishes you all a Merry Christmas

Trondheim Travel Blog

Christmas street in Trondheim

Christmas has had a long and varied history. It was been celebrated for centuries by different people, at different times, in different places, and in many different ways.

Christmas is celebrated throughout the Christian population, but is also celebrated by many non-Christians as a secular, cultural festival. The holiday is celebrated around the world.

Because gift-giving and several other aspects of the holiday involve heightened economic activity among both Christians and non-Christians, Christmas has become a major event for many retailers.

The word Christmas originated as a compound meaning "Christ's Mass".

Children skating at the main squere
It is derived from the Middle English Christemasse and Old English Cristes mæsse, a phrase first recorded in 1038. "Cristes" is from Greek Christos and "mæsse" is from Latin missa. In early Greek versions of the New Testament, the letter Χ (chi) is the first letter of Christ. Since the mid-16th century Χ, or the similar Roman letter X, has been used as an abbreviation for Christ. Hence, Xmas is often used as an abbreviation for Christmas.

When You Wish Upon A Star

Music by Leigh Harline / Lyrics by Ned Washington

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
As dreamers do

Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
Your dreams come true

Christmas  the time of the year that brings expectations to the children.

Main squere of Trondheim
  Expectations to meet Santa Claus and that hi are bringing Christmas presents to them.

Christmas is the children’s time, children in all ages.

The Christmas season liturgically begins on Christmas Eve, and is preceded by a four-week fast called Advent.

For me Christmas is the end of Advent time.  I love Advent time with the preparations for Christmas.

My band always gives an Advent concert for free in one of Trondheim’s churches.  We invites a choir, plays lots of the old Christmas songs and the public sings with the choir.

Our last song is usually Cantique de Noel, my favourite Christmas song, but this year we played Silent Night after Cantique de Noel, just because the choir wanted this song to end the concert.

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child

Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Saviour is born
Christ, the Saviour is born

Silent night, holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth

After the concert we invite all to coffee and Christmas cakes.

As I wrote the concert and coffee is for free, but we hope the audience will leave some coins in our pot.  One day between Christmas Eve and New Years Eve we will visit the children’s hospital in Trondheim, playing for them, bringing small gifts and donate the money the audience left in our pot.

Christmas is the time for reflections, reflections over the year that’s soon coming to its end.

The last months of 2008 have brought economic crises all over the world and the crises have made business/shop owners worried.  Worried that the costumers won’t spend their money buying expensive Christmas gifts.

This year I have spend less money than ever on Christmas gifts, not because of the economic crises, but because I want to break the tradition of leaving my money in the shop owners cash desk.

From me my friends get home made bread and marmalade, marmalade I have made from fig, orange, apricot and blackberries.  Marmalades I have seasoned with cinnamon, whiskey and clove.

My friends also get the Christmas book “Sorgenfri”. This book is as a local “The Big Issue” from Trondheim.  The book is sold by drug addicted, homeless and poor people and costs 12 Euro and 6 Euro is for the seller to keep.

I think this Christmas book is a great gift.  I have met several sellers of the book and I really admire them standing in the cold weather, always with a smile and very polite.

And taking the time, stopping up and talk to the sellers is very nice.  One day I bought three books from a female seller, seeing her happiness and receiving her hug made my day.

Wishes you all a Merry Christmas, and I hope you have the Christmas spirit in you.

so this is Christmas
and what have you done
another year over
a new one just begun

and so this is Christmas
i hope you have fun
the near and the dear ones
the old and the young

a very merry Christmas
and a happy new year
let's hope it's a good one
without any fear

and so this is Christmas (war is over...)
for weak and for strong (...if you want it)
the rich and the poor ones
the road is so long

and so happy Christmas
for black and for white
for the yellow and red ones
let's all stop the fight

a very merry Christmas
and a happy new year
lets hope it's a good one
without any fear

so this is Christmas
and what have you done

redcatxia says:
The pictures are splendid. I wish back home in Canada they would go to such lengths to make it look so pretty. In China Christmas is not celebrated, so this year I'm all alone as my partner leaves for an interview and China doesn't do anything for it :(
Posted on: Nov 25, 2009
Sunflower300 says:
I'm sorry I missed this before Christmas, what a lovely tribute, thanks Marit.
Posted on: Jan 14, 2009
travelman727 says:
Marit, as always, your Christmas blog is so wonderful :-)
Posted on: Jan 08, 2009