Day 5, Tuguegarao to Laoag

Tuguegarao Travel Blog

harvest time
6:00 a.m. Woke up early, because was getting used to it.  My sister, Jo, had texted me on my mobile.  She’d ended up in Vigan! She was supposed to be in Laoag where we would meet.  She realized her mistake, and was already on the move.

8:00 a.m.  Just had a good breakfast at the Pensione Roma café.  My usual bangus and fried eggs with rice.  I wanted the eggs scrambled, but they gave them to me sunny-side up.  A family in the next table was discussing Vigan; they said it was too old, which amused me.  I noticed that the artwork around the café was for sale.  One cost PhP 10,000 which was too much for the quality of the work.

9:00 a.m.  Relieved that I was finally able to withdraw some money.
catch of the day
  I got into a jeep that would take me to Penablanca and the Callao Caves. There I met Irma, a secretarial and computer programming graduate who was on her way to tend her family’s halo-halo stand on the banks of the Pinacanauan River where I needed to be.  There was a family of Aetas in the jeepney.  One of them got nauseated and vomited near the edge of Irma’s shirt.  They disembarked at their settlement near Penablanca, which was founded by an American philanthropist. I thought of going down with them out of curiosity, but decided to move on. The province was in the midst of harvest time.  It was also market day in Penablanca town, and people were arriving in horse-drawn carts.  I asked if these were public transportation, but I was told that they were family-owned private vehicles!

10:00 a.
cruising the river
m.  Am at the banks of the Pinacanauan River.  Irma’s was the only stand there and she was already doing brisk business.  The bangkeros were arguing amongst themselves, so I had to ask the dispatcher Romeo to decide which boat I was to take.  I took the special PhP 250 trip which will take me up and down the river.  The river was emerald green in parts, and so beautifully pristine.  We got to the waterfalls, but it was just a trickle that summer.  I saw that cave where the bats came out in full force at dusk, but it was too early in the day.  We stopped at the Callao Caves which was already full of tourists.  Unlike Sagada, the cave was relatively dry.  I saw the chapel inside of the cave.  The pews and the altar were made of stone.

12:00 p.
family horse and cart
m.  Back in Tuguegarao, I had hitched a ride with an engineer on his SUV.  I needed to take a bus to Ilocos.

4:00 p.m.  I was passing through the picturesque coastal route to Laoag, cut out of the cliffside and battered by the South China Sea.  I felt awed that I was at the very tip of mainland Philippines.

8:00 p.m.  In Laoag. So relieved to see my youngest sister safe and already settled in, and watching TV.  We giggled at our choice of hotel, which was art-deco style and girlishly pink! The hotel was appropriately named Hotel Tiffany.

boy with carabao
boy with carabao
inside Callao Caves
inside Callao Caves
mighty Cagayan river
mighty Cagayan river
end of the world...well as some wo…
end of the world...well as some w…
Tuguegarao