Day 2, Baguio to Sagada

Sagada Travel Blog

Roadblock
4:45 a.m.   Peds had caught up with me at the Inn. He left almost immediately afterwards to do a walking tour of Baguio before we left for Sagada;  a short tour, enough to tell him that there was nothing much to do. We had breakfast at the Inn when he came back.

9:00 a.m.  On the road to Sagada. The view from Halsema Highway was spectacular. At the stopover, a group of old men in cowboy hats and leather jackets had gathered in the waiting shed next to the road.  We’d arrived at the bus station just before it was about to leave, but I knew we were going to be later arriving at Sagada then I’d hoped.  The bus was so full of passengers; even the aisles were being used.
Halsema HIGHway

11:13 a.m. We’d been stopped for 20 mins. due to road blasting up ahead, to clear the road where a minor landslide had occurred.  Peds was reading the newspaper, while I read Paolo Coellho’s The Alchemist.  We didn’t have much longer to wait, as the vehicles on the other side had begun to move.

3:00 p.m.  We arrived at Sagada, and went straight to Shamrock II/Yoghurt House to eat.  The place had changed. I remembered bare walls, basic tables and chairs, but it now looked artsy, having a bookcase full of good books, hanging lamps, artwork on the walls, a traditional ladder hung with Ifugao cloth. I had the Banana and Strawberry yoghurt, but it seemed too sour for me.  We left to look for an inn afterwards, and tried Masferre, but was surprised that it was fully booked.
  (Turns out St. Mary’s -- a local high school, was having its reunion that had brought back home alumni from overseas. Some had become English teachers in the U.S., and owed their expertise in the language from foreign teachers who’d once taught them at St Mary‘s.).

In a panic, I plunked down PhP 1,600 for 2 nights on a bungalow at St Joseph’s Resthouse, but they gave me a heater free of charge.  Afterwards, we found out that Greenhouse Inn still had room left…for PhP 220!  Because of the unexpected expense, I was afraid I was going to have a cash flow problem.

4:00 p.m.  Disappointed that we had to turn back.  We were supposed to go to Lumiang Cave but it began to rain.  We decided to call it a day, take a bath, and have an early dinner. Warm water in cold weather felt heavenly.

7:13 p.m.  Ate at Masferre for dinner.  The service was slooowww, but the food was great, and the prices reasonable.  We saw the pack of Koreans come in for dinner too.  Earlier that day, we saw them at the Municipal Hall waiting for their guide; three couples, plus one who looked the independent, cool type (the cute one actually).  They seemed to walk in pecking order �" youngest couple last.

8:30 p.m. Booked dinner at Log Cabin for the next day.   We paid PhP 310 in advance, which again brought to mind my dwindling cash.  Hopefully, I’d find a bank in Bontoc.

at Inn Rocio