Day 1, Manila to Baguio

Baguio Travel Blog

on Session Road
Didn’t sleep at all last night; had to finish some stuff for the office.  By the time I was able to pack everything into one backpack it was almost time to leave. 4:30 a.m. I woke up my brother, Peds, to walk me to the main road where I could catch a cab to the Victory Liner terminal in Pasay.

5:00 a.m. Caught the bus on time. I couldn’t help thinking while I took my seat that if there would be an accident, I’d be the first passenger affected because I sat beside the driver. I was paranoid that the suitcase that nobody seemed to own was a bomb. They finally put it into the baggage compartment underneath the bus. It’s a wonder that I slept.

6:30 a.m. Woke up to discover that we were caught in an early morning traffic jam.
Tam-awan Village
Was it an exodus of vacationing Manilenos? I saw beside the road fields of golden rice that were bathed in yellow dawn light. I wished I could take a picture, but promptly fell back asleep.

9:30 a.m.  The ringing of my mobile woke me up.  My boss was calling.

11:00 a.m.  Baguio in sight! Wow, the mountains seemed denuded. I expected pine trees, not this rabbit-warren of dwellings perched almost on top of each other. It was sunny. Despite the higher altitude, it seemed hot.

12:30 p.m.  Checked into Inn Rocio -- a 70s-style hotel. My room had basic twin beds, wooden furniture, white walls, fluorescent lighting, white-tiled bathroom.  TV with cable, yay! The hotel seemed empty of people.

1:00 p.m.  Walked down to Burnham Park.  It was a hot summer day in the summer capital of the Philippines.
view of Baguio
  Only the breeze seemed cool as it blew down the manmade lagoon full of boaters gliding to the song “Everybody Hurts”.  It felt surreal.  Continued on to Harrison and Session Roads to look for a bank ATM.  Am faint with hunger.

2:00 p.m. Lunch at Café by the Ruins, which was as quaint as always.  I indulged myself with a complete meal of green salad, shitake mushroom and spinach soup, “bistek” Tagalog with red mountain rice, strawberry shake and maruja dessert.

3:00 p.m.  Waiting for a jeep at K. Street to get to T. Street where Tam-awan Village was.  Took Quezon Hill jeep, and asked the driver to drop me off nearest to the entrance.

6:15 p.m.   Tam-awan village was awesome.  J. showed me around.  We went up the path that wove around the authentic Ifugao huts, carved bamboo poles and giant dream catchers, up the hill next to the telecom tower that had a view of both Baguio City and Trinidad Valley. He was of Ifugao heritage, and he took lots of pictures of me with my camera.  Back in the “village”, I looked into the gift shop and the small but interesting art gallery. I found out that I’d lost my Gucci sunglasses, which fell somewhere along the path. I left with regret, no longer attempting to look for it.  I bought cheap new sunglasses when I got back to the city proper.

view of Baguio
Would this dreamcatcher catch me?
Would this dreamcatcher catch me?
Hut #1
Hut #1
Hut #2.  Notice the difference?
Hut #2. Notice the difference?
Baguio Sights & Attractions review
Dream of an Ifugao village
Tam-Awan is an Ifugao village created by an artist (BenCab) for artists and aficionados. The traditional layout and the dozen or so re-constructed hu… read entire review
Baguio