A Rainy Afternoon

Washington Travel Blog

in the children's area

Getting situated at Kimberleigh's was a little stressful since it was all new to me (I think I drove a loop through the nearby blocks four times trying to find a close parking spot before finally just settling for a place that looked like I would be safe from towing for 15 minutes).  However, I did get in to the building and up to her apartment.  I left some of my belongings in the beautiful space before heading out to meet up with Annamaria at the National Museum of the American Indian.

My parents and I had visited this museum once before about six years ago or so.  I had not been that impressed then (beautiful building but a lot of empty space) and thought another visit was due to give it a fair chance.  I also am working on a grad class that requires visits to several of the DC museums and this one seemed like a probable one for info that would relate to my classroom.

outside selfie--required for class

I had not seen Annamaria in over two years so I have to admit that we spent most of our visit in the museum chatting and catching up versus looking at the exhibits in depth.  (Which means while my opinion of the museum has risen slightly, I still feel that there is a lot of space not used very well but my attention was not focused on the museum itself as much).  I did really enjoy the bilingual Inka road exhibit.  I got practice with reading in my other language and making word connections.  I also learned some more about the culture including random facts on potatoes!  The kids' discovery zone for the museum was also pretty cool with many hands-on exhibits that showed how artifacts from different people groups worked.

main entrance

Unfortunately a strong rainstorm had moved on just as we had started to tour the museum and it was not yet over by the time we needed to go find dinner.  We both had umbrellas but I still got a bit wet (the capris dried during the meal, my footbrace needed a little more time).

Annamaria led me to a salad place called Chopt that was not far from where she would need to go to her language class later.  The salad was huge!  We chatted a little bit longer about life and watched the rain lighten and then pick up again.  There was thunder as we left the eatery and parted ways.  She would get drenched on her way to class; I would stay dry as I traveled the metro back to the apartment (although there apparently was a waterfall in one of the other stations...)

in the childrens area
in the children's area
Inka road exhibit entrance
Inka road exhibit entrance
I joked that I could pretend I act…
I joked that I could pretend I ac…
Washington