Old Stone House

Washington Travel Blog

the Old Stone House

My afternoon/evening plans with a former roommate fell through so after giving myself a moment to sulk, I decided to head into DC on my own.  On a whim I called a friend from high school who lived in VA near the city.  Not expecting to get ahold of her, I was pleasantly surprised when she was available to meet me.

I took the Metro in from Suitland, easy journey.  Once I arrived in the general Georgetown area, it was time to hike a few blocks since Georgetown isn't really on the Metro line.  However, it was a nice fall day and I enjoyed the walk.

The Old Stone House visit did not take very long as the entire upstairs was undergoing renovation.  Oops.  Well, I hadn't originally planned on going into DC and hadn't thought to check the Internet beforehand.

white rose
  I enjoyed looking at the pictures they had in the kitchen (the only downstairs room besides the gift shop).  At one time in its history, the Old Stone House's property held a car dealership!

The garden was beautiful.  It was narrow but stretched back aways, in a terrace set-up.  I wandered around here for probably as long as I was in the house.  My camera decided to have dying batteries but I was able to snap a few shots of fall flowers.

I walked south of the Old Stone House and discovered the old canal system that ran through Georgetown.  I loved it!

I then browsed a Barnes and Noble while waiting for Mandi.  After meeting up, we walked around the area.  I kept thinking to myself how much I enjoyed being in the city again with its history and design.

We got frozen yogurt at a busy shop just a few spaces down from the Old Stone House and then ate our snack in the gardens.  With dusk falling, Mandi insisted on driving me back to my car which gave us some more time to chat.

the kitchen hearth