Going back home ;-)

Nevis Travel Blog

Sunset Oualie Beach

From Ocotber 2006 until the beginning of March 2007 I'd worked and lived on the small Caribbean island Nevis. See my other travel blog. I left Nevis because I had to graduate from my university. Which I finally did in June 2007.
I didn't want to leave at all. I had such an amazing time in this Caribbean Reggae Paradise. I made many friends and I missed all the good things of life here. The weather, sunshine, the ocean, my friends, the music, life style, parties and much more. Coming home in March made me really depressed. Weather sucked big time, people weren't so friendly, stress of my graduating project, no good parties and so on.

I decided I had to go back to, for me, this paradise. In Mai I booked flight tickets for October 2007. I could stay at a friends place, Sydney.

My friends the fishing men
I was really excited when the time finally came to go back "home". It really felt like going back home.
I flew to Saint Kitts, sister island of Nevis, and took a water taxi to Nevis, with some people I knew from the period I lived on Nevis. I knew the water taxi driver too. Cool to meet this crazy rasta guy again. Taxi went to Oualie Beach, which was the bar were I had my "office" for five months. More people I knew and they were suprised to see me back.
I was home again. My friend was supposed to pick me up from there, but something went wrong in our communications in the days before. I got a ride from another familiar guy and he dropped me off at her place. She rented the house with some other Americans and there was a swimming pool.  Relax! From the balcony I saw the green velvet monkeys every morning jumping in the trees and bushes.
I could look at it for hours.
My friend, who went to MUA (Medical Uni of Americas), had a few more days of school before the break. So I went to Charlestown for some shopping and walking down the ocean road. Again I met many people I knew. That is so cool! And I was so happy. Hadn't been that happy since I lived there (except from graduating)...

I had many plans to do. It felt weird not working. I used to work six days a week. Now I could sit at a bar at lunch time and have a beer... I wanted to go up Mount Nevis again. But it had rained too much that is was too dangerous to go up. The first weekend I help with organizing the yearly Fishing Tournament.

Where's the monkey?
But some cool and young fishermen from St Martin invited me to come with them. I never been fishing deep ocean before. No fishing at all. But I seemed fun and exiting. They talked about catching fish of 1,5m long... WoW!
So, by 1am I went to bed. That will say, I found a place to sleep and at 5am we headed out to the boats. The weather was rough and stormy. So I was really excited. It was still dark when we left the small harbor of Oualie Beach. I wasn't a 100% sober, so in the open ocean, just going up and down the waves, my stomach started protesting. I think I was a little sea sick because of all the beers the night before. Fortunately I wasn't the only one. One of guys had a hard time too. I found out you need lots of patient if it comes to fishing.
Race track, Monserat in the back ground
It was supposed to be a good day for fishing.  The stars and the moon had the right position or something like that. I have no knowledge about that, so can tell me every thing you like.
Maybe we were fishing at the wrong place... I don't know, but after 9 hours of fishing we only caught five fishes, which were not really big. There was nothing else to see but water, waves and some birds. No islands at all. Kinda scary if you think about things that can happen at the open ocean... At 4pm we had to be back. None of the other 14 boats had a good catch... Next day a guy came back from fishing, his boat loaded with huge fishes... Never mind. I had a good time with the guys and enjoyed being on the water very much.

A few days later I was invited by Nox to join him on a catamaran trip to Saint Kitts.

Find the monkey
I did this trip a few times before and it is so relaxing. Lying on the deck, going up and down of the waves, reggea music and beers/drinks all the time. You'r tipsy when you're back at the land again.
I visited some old friends and other people I knew. Went to some birthday parties and hang out in my favourite places when I lived here: Oualie Beach, Chevies, Eddies, Double Deuce, Nisbet Plantation and the Courtyard.  (See reviews travel blog Working adn living in the Caribbean).
Last day of the trip I went to the horse races at the east side of the island. There is a race track and two times a year there are horse races. Half the island comes here to be part of this big event. I never went to horse races before and I don't like gambling, but it was fun to experience such an event. People can go crazy!

Unfortunately, my wonderful trip to my "home" ended after two weeks. It was great being back. It felt like closing the book. It was a different and definite goodbye. But I will definitely return to the Caribbean. I'm absolutely in love with this culture and life style. It is so relax and cool. Much better than the stressy way of life in the Netherlands... I'll be back :-)

Wheres the monkey?
Where's the monkey?
Race track, Monserat in the back g…
Race track, Monserat in the back …
Green velvet monkey