Squarepusher and LFO at the London Astoria

Soho London Travel Blog

The Astoria seems to be my second home this week, weird as i hadn't been to this venue for nearly two years. Anyway I'll keep this short as yet again i have no photos to share as i didn't take my camera and the one on my phone although 5 megapixels is mega rubbish at low light photography.

First on stage was LFO who was already playing when we finally got in due to the vigorous anal probing the security guards were giving everyone. We couldn't really see him as he was sitting at a desk, i believe he was mixing music on his laptop. Some good thumping tunes ensued for the next 30 mins and the crowd were loving it, he finished his set leaving the crowd suitable warmed up.

After a 20 min interval Squarepusher took to the stage, as I've never seen him live i was interested to see what he would actually do once on stage. He sets his sampled electronica music going via his laptop and the provides the bass by playing a bass guitar which he does very well and on some tracks a drummer comes on to provide additional percussion. The set was okay but i was a little disappointed that he didn't do any of his less rhythmic/disjointed tracks that you have no hope in hell of dancing to as these are my personal favourites. But still it was a  enjoyable gig my only real complaint would be that i had to stand with my eyes shut for the first 10 minutes as the light show was so bright it real did feel like my retainers were burning.

Mezmerized says:
Sitting upstairs in Brixton is very wrong...... I have a great strategy for getting down the front though, every time. Head down to the gents on the left had side of the stage then cut in from the side, second row no problem :-) Last gig was Marilyn manson last month then a couple of weeks before that Biffy Clyro. It feels like my local....
Posted on: Jan 05, 2010
lee-81 says:
Yeah it's a absolute disgrace that they've knocked it down, it breaks my heart every time i walk past it i saw so many great gigs there. My favourite venue is the Scala in Kings Cross, Brixton's good if your not upstairs sitting down i was there for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs on the 30th of Nov a great gig i even got to sing into the mic!
Posted on: Jan 05, 2010
Mezmerized says:
And then... they close the Astoria :-( Used to be one of my favorite venues, can't beat Brixton academy though.
Posted on: Jan 04, 2010