Isn't that where Chewing Gum is illegal?

Singapore Travel Blog

Did you know that Singapore is the smallest nation in Southeastern Asia? My friend who works for Lonely planet teased, I laughed out loud thinking, what a ridiculous notion? But he could not be far from right. Singapore has long since been viewed as a slizy, good for nothing nation. When I traveled to Singapore in early 1999 with my boyfriend Peter I only knew as little as my illiterate mother had always said, "the best shukas (kangas) are made in Singapore. Founded as a British trading colony in 1819, since independence it has become one of the world's most prosperous countries and sports the world's busiest port. Currently it clears the largest tonnage of commercial goods than any port in the world.

After the longest flight I had ever taken in my life (18 hours), we finally landed in Singapore and the jet lug ate at my very soul. I can still remember,t he first time I saw Singapore, the independent state had gone past the initial leveling of vast areas of swamp land and made a good deal witht heir architectural heritage. Singapore has a tropical climate with temperatures running about 66 degrees fahrenheit.  Since Peter was on a business trip, he left me at the hotel when he went for his business meeting, 'aske the conceige for a tour package you can go on till I return' Peter said. I did not go on a guided tour, instead I left the hotel and went to the harbour (I think it is a boat quay more than a harbour since there were no big ships), where I was surprised to see what was going on there. Along the water front were restaurants and outdoor sitting with the most colourful umbrellas, the bars looked like the new commercial American residential homes running shoulder to shoulder one can practically see what the person int he next bar has ordered heheee!

What was interesting to me were the number of European expertriates (English and Irish mostly) because that is the English I hear spoken, LOL! I made my way to one of the bars and people watched, there was nothing like it.

To be continued . . .