Jiuzhaigou, Valley of Nine Villages, North of Sichuan

Jiuzhaigou Travel Blog

9 Dec 2008

We bought our bus ticket upon reaching Chengdu at Xin Nan Men Tourist Bus Station for 145rmb/person yesterday. And we set off 8am in the morning into Jiuzhaigou. I take my motion sickness pill when getting on the bus because alot of information says that the journey is quite winding especially reaching Jiuzhaigou. The journey takes about 10 hours to reached our destination. The road to Jiuzhaigou is bumpy on areas which affected by the earthquake in May. But scenery is awesome after about 6 hours ride, and it is indeed winding, lucky, I've take my pills. Each time when the bus stop for nature calls, I do my business as quick as possible and get out as fast as I could, holding my breath.

Nuorilang waterfall
We reached Jiuzhaigou station is already 6pm. The hostel staffs picked us at the bus station, spent the first night in the hostel which is less than 5 minutes drive to the park entrance.

10 Dec 2008

We walk to JZG park entrance this morning, the town of JZG is basically one long strip of Chinese hotels located on either side of the park entrance. At this time, it was low-seasoned, the entrance ticket are 80rmb/person entitle for a 2 day visit,  plus 80rmb/person for the unlimited bus ride around JZG, worth it! You need to pay for 310rmb/person during peak seasoned with 1 time entry only. The park shaped is like a 'Y', with entrance downhill and restaurant complex in the middle at the junction of the two arms 'Y'. We took bus to the central location, switched bus to went up the right hand fork of the 'Y' as the bus we took earlier is going to the left.

Five Color Pond
We got out at the top of the 'Y', and hike back down the arm of the 'Y' to the central location. Being able to view the beautiful scenery of JZG is really a breathtaking experience. The hike was beautiful with downhill boardwalk along lakes and waterfalls, we stop often for picture taking, it took us about 5 hours. We then caught a bus down to the entrance gate. Dinner at a Tibetan house for 50rmb after some negotiation, a little bit of tourist trap but we are ok with it with only 50rmb/person, some pay for 120rmb/person. They arrange a driver to pick us up at our hostel, drive us to a Tibetan house, a Tibetan lady explain some of their culture/custom, then lead us to a brightly decorated room where we eat some local food, barbecue lamb and local rice wine. During the meal, the Tibetan teenagers informally dance as well as sing.
JZG waterfall
It is ok for a one time experience.

11 Dec 2008

Second day visit to JZG, we take a cab for only 5rmb from our hostel to the park entrance. This time we take a bus to the left hand fork of the 'Y' towards Long Lake. The left fork of the 'Y' wasn't great, we hike down from the central location to the entrance, hop in bus and get out at various scenic spots, I think the central location towards the entrance are much more better view than the left hand 'Y'. The best scenery is on the right hand fork of the 'Y', so if you have got only one day for visit, go to the right first, then cover the rest if you have sufficient time.

12 Dec 2008

We hired a Tibetan driver to take us to the 'Fairy Pool', about 2 1/2 hours ride from JZG park for 350rmb.

Fairy Pool was closed due to most of the pool frozen in ice. We managed to get in because the driver try his best to talk to the guards to let us in, in returned, we only need to guaranteed that we will not litter the place, no lighters are allowed, that's all. The pool was nice, like mention earlier, most of the areas are frozen. I can imagine how beautiful it was if it's summer time. There isn't much things to do in JZG at night, we stay in our rooms, many shop houses and hotels closed during winter. We are taking bus back to Chengdu next morning.

JZG waterfall
Bamboo Lake...I think so
Bamboo Lake...I think so
Long Lake
Long Lake
Fairy Pool - 2 hrs drive from Jiuz…
Fairy Pool - 2 hrs drive from Jiu…
Jiuzhaigou General Tips & Advice review
Xin Nan Men Bus Station to Jiuzhaigou
Buy your bus tickets at Chengdu, Xin Nan Men Bus Station, tel: 028-85433609. Besides JZG, from here you can also catch buses heading to Leshan Giant B… read entire review