Guide to NZ

New Zealand Travel Blog

The North Island has a few spots worth noting;
Rotorua is a great spot for thermal (volcanic) oddities. I've never been to Hawaii, so it may be similar, so if you've seen boiling mud and such, it may not be worth duplicating, as there's so much to see in NZ.

Also if your into white water rafting this is the area. I went sledging with my friend there, which basically is white water rafting on a boogie board..its not permitted in alot of countries yet, but trust me its an adrenalin rush and well worth it.

Waitomo Caves area is also a good stop. There you can go on a cave exploration trip with a guide, you can really get into it, gear and all, no experience required (even repelling into an underground river!) And of course the glow worms, worth seeing, but they are everywhere, take a walk at night.

Oh yeah...a traditional Maori Hangi Rotorua there's a good place. Learn some culture and eat some food buried underground cooking all day, a glow worm hike and!

The Tongariro Crossing is the hike of all hikes!!  I didnt get a chance to do this and I'm kicking myself ever since...but thats why I'm going back! Its near Taupo on the North Island (the large lake in the middle of the Island). This is also where alot of the Lord of the Rings movies were shot.

The South Island is much different. The North area has some GREAT vineyards, very good wines! All along the west coast you get large mountains. You can go sky diving over Fox Glacier, it's a rush, or take Heli-Hike on Franz Joseph Glaceir (a combo Helicopter ride and they drop you off on the glacier for a 2 hour Ice Hike..gear and all.  Neither require any experience......that's the best part!

I ended up running out of time on the South Island. We did a swim with the dolphins cruise that was awesome near Kaikoura. You really just get in the middle of a pod of wild dolphins and jump in the water with snorkel gear...amazing!

The penguins are a sight to see in Fiordland, but thats pretty far South.
Queensland is a nice city as well, I've never been but my friends live there and rave about it.

Can ya tell its my favorite place I've been The last thing I'll mention - I rented a small RV which was a great way to go! There are loads of places to hook up and overnight. I rented with Pacific Horizon in Auckland and dropped off on the South Island. It was a blast! We had a shower, stove and heat/ac. It could free camp using propane if you want for a day or two or plug in at a proper facility.

Happy Travels