The last of the light

Bristol Travel Blog

Clifton suspension bridge
Today I spent almost the whole day in bed with a headache, which sucked because it was a gorgeous hot lovely day.  I finally felt like I could move - if not eat - at about 4pm.  Luckily it is summer, so there was enough daylight to make it still worthwhile to get up and go out.  I went up to Bristol to take care of some shopping I had to do and went to Clifton Suspension Bridge.  I've written about the bridge before - there is a review of it by me somewhere - but up til this day I hadn't ever got around to parking and walking across it.  it turns out that it is easier to park on the far side, the Leigh Woods side, which of course means paying the toll, which is a princely 50p.
  Not a major issue!

I parked and walked across the bridge.  Despite the fact that there are safety cages higher than my head, the sheer drop on the gorge made me a little nervous about crossing.  but is was a beautiful day and an incredible view.  It turns out that the bridge is built in the middle of a unique environment.  There are several species of flowers and trees that only grow on the cliffs of St Vincent next to the bridge, including two species of whitebeam trees.  Who'd have thought it?

Actually, there was an information board which told the story that one of the engineer's wives, a woman called Mrs Glennie, did know about this and persuaded Brunel to transplant some of the rarer flowers a little further up the cliff.  It conjures up a wonderful image of him carrying them personally in his hat, although of course in real life the chances are he got some poor labourer to do it.  It probably gave him a nice break from perching hundreds of feet above the gorge.
The bridge