hangover cures 1 - the peak district/ bacon butties

Glossop Travel Blog

Penine way at Snake Pass
It was my birthday on the second, and I was appropriately spoiled.  ANd of course, this meant waking up a little - well - wobbly around the edges.  I know, I know, no-one needs to drink to have a good time.  And it shouldn't take alcohol to cope with the shock to the system that is turning (shhh) years old, either.  But the fact of the matter is, I drink so little these days, that the two or three glasses of wine over dinner were easily enough to have me sleepy and sluggish the next day. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the two mojitos and three rum and cokes we had afterwards, OK?

We is me and the new Bloke, who is, if anyone is a regular reader, the new bloke of last June in Edinburgh.
Penine Way

After much negotiation, I persuaded New Bloke that is was a good idea to go out to the countryside.  Manchester is lovely, but I needed some fresh air.  Unfortunately, I had forgotten that New Bloke drives an old mini (that's the little tiny thing in the original Italian Job, American readers - slightly smaller than the average golf cart, and considerably closer to the ground).  The mini is lovely, and very, very cool, but it has all the suspension of a skateboard.  And despite my love of travel, I get horrobly car sick.

I was an entertaining shade of green by the time we got to Snake Pass.  ALso, I was extremely grateful that New Bloke and I were not on a first date, because no one wants to look that green in front of someone they are still trying to impress.
Path near Snake Pass

Snake Pass has one of the best place names of anywhere I have visited recently, and unbelievably, apprears to be the main road to Sheffield, unless you detour to the M62 or whatever it is.  It has cattle grids, for goodness sake, and snow gates.  The road snakes - hence the name, I guess, coz it has to be waaaay too cold for anything but the toughest of Adders this high up - over the Pennines.  As the altitude rose and the air cooled, the nausea slightly wore off and I started to forgive the mini.  We pulled over in a layby to admire the view of the moor, and after a little unnecessary patriotism ("why are there so many people here?  In Scotland this would be properly desolate, like, actually quiet.
  and we'd have a better car park..." that kind of rubbish. We can't help it!) and some photos, we headed back down the other side of the pass.

Further down, there was a layby with a burger van in it.  There is almost nowhere in England so cut off from society that some hardy soul will not have a tea urn in a van.  I love this country!  So we pulled over.  The Burger Van Man gave us a leaflet for the area, which proved very useful as I hadn't been able to get to a shop for an OS (see tip below) map or anything.  He also sold us some of the best bacon barms (local for Bacon Butty, which is British for Bacon sandwich) I have ever, ever had.  They were amazing.  I burned my mouth on scalding instant coffee and we headed off into the woods.

The layby is next to some Forestry COmmission woodland, although for a managed forest it was surprisingly natural.
Dambusters memorial
  The streams were half frozen, and the paths were nice and firm under foot.  This was lucky, because my boots aren't all that great and New Bloke managed to lead us slightly the wrong way, which was fine in this weather but did involve fording the stream.  Much wobbling over stones later, we made it back to the car.

After this, we went up to Derwent Water, with New Bloke protesting, as the mini cheerfully attempted to fly over the bends, that he was actually driving far more slowly than normal out of respect for my delicate nature.  The dam in the pictures is the dam where the Dambusters learned to bust dams, and was very, very cold.

After that, we wandered home and went to the pictures.
Derwent Dam
Derwent Dam
Glossop Sights & Attractions review
The Peak District
The Peak District is a national park covering large swathe of Northern England, covering parts of several counties including Debyshire and Cheshire. … read entire review
Glossop