(Kealak)Ekua Bay

Hawaii Travel Blog

Looking across Kealakekua Bay
You know how some people want to go to places like Hell, Norway or that town in Scotland with an extremely long name? Well I was pretty determined to visit Kealakekua Bay because of the last four letters of Kealakekua- my name! That may not sound very exciting to you, but trust me, when you've had to spell your name out and explain it as much as I have, it's pretty cool to see it incorporated into the name of place in a different culture.

To be honest, the name thing isn't what originally attracted me to Kealakekua Bay. Prior to my trip, it was highly recommended by two people with a lot of Big Island experience. They said it was a great place to kayak and snorkel. When we arrived at the bay we stood at a lookout point and then I had fun taking several pictures of and with the park sign and tried to make it look like it said "Ekua Bay.
"

We moved on to the area where we could go kayaking and my sister agreed to go with me. We rented a kayak and snorkeling gear from a man with a can of something. It was covered with a foam can holder so I couldn't see what was in the can, but his breath told me it was most likely beer. With slurred speech he explained the basics of kayaking and kept talking about flipping over nonchalantly. As if it was no big deal if we fell out of our kayak in the middle of the (deep) bay. "Don't lean to the side or you'll flip over. If you flip over just get back on. I'm going to strap your belongings onto the kayak in case you flip over." I pulled my life vest straps a little tighter.

We went to get in our kayak and had to wait for two young guys to get out of their kayak.
They appeared to be brothers and were throwing numerous verbal insults at each other while they struggled to get out of the kayak. I looked at my sister and told her I hoped the kayaking experience wouldn't ruin our sisterhood. When it was our turn, we got on the kayak and off we went.

It was supposed to be a 25 minute journey to the other side of the bay, but I'm pretty sure we took much longer than that. In a two person kayak, the person sitting in the back is supposed to steer. My sister was in the back and kept getting forgetting that you have to paddle on the opposite side of where you want to turn. Plus I struggled to get into a position where I could row without hitting my knees and I had forgotten how much arm strength it takes to paddle. We slowly zigzaged to the other side of the bay passing by spinner dolphins in the distance.

When we reached the other side, it was awesome to snorkel and see the underwater world and swim with the fish. We ungracefully but successfully made it back to the other side. All in all it was an awesome experience. On the way back, we stopped at a Kona coffee farm and got some goods.

That night we went to a luau at our hotel. I was apprehensive about it. The Bale Folclorico da Bahia show I saw in Salvador set a really high standard for being entertaining and informative but not over the top. Cultural shows tend to be tacky in my opinion. We arrived and there was a long line. The event was unfortunately moved indoors because it had poured in the afternoon and they decided to keep it indoors even when it cleared up.

After being forced to put on a fake leis and take a cheesy family photo, we finally made it up to the front of the line and found seats inside.
When we first set out
We sat next to an older couple from New York who were there with their young son. They had just arrived and were jealous of our relatively short travel time to Hawaii and minor time difference (two hours). The guy had some funny things to say and a personality and look that reminded me of Anthony Bourdain.

When we went to go get our food, there was an overwhelming and amazing selection of food. I tried some local Hawaiian things, most of it I can't remember but it was all good. The only thing questionable was the poi which wasn't even as bad as I had expected. I piled on the poke and remember how the first time I went to Hawaii, I wouldn't even try it. Now I seem to eat much more raw fish these days than cooked fish. After a wonderful dinner, the show started. It was super cheesy as I had expected but the two mai tais that came with the luau probably helped. When the show was finally over, they took us outside for the fire dancing portion because they couldn't do it inside. It was pretty awesome and a great way to end the show.
Snorkeling!
Snorkeling!
Swimming with the fish!
Swimming with the fish!
Luau
Luau
Bringing up an uncoordinated touri…
Bringing up an uncoordinated tour…
Playing with fire