Back to the Mainland

San Francisco Travel Blog

On our way back to the mainland, there were delays upon delays. We were flying through Oahu where there had been a big storm and many flights had been cancelled or delayed. We spent hours at the airport in Kona. We arrived in Oahu thinking we were barely on time for our flight to San Francisco, but that turned out to be delayed as well. But we were the lucky ones- there were tons of people on standby from previously canceled flights and a ton of people who looked like they had spent the night at the airport. Several people had spread out blankets and pillows and were sleeping. I kept an eye out for the Obamas but didn't see them ;)

When we finally boarded the plane, there were more delays. I think it had something to do with the plane's air conditioner not working. It was in the wee hours of the morning by that time so I was in and out of sleep and didn't really know what was going on. When we arrived in San Francisco, the weather was kind to us. It had been freezing (according to me and as I've said before, I have a low tolerance for cold) and when we got back it was much warmer.

I really enjoyed my time on the Big Island. The locals we encountered were great, always friendly and helpful. I think a big part of making the most of the island is renting a car. Driving from the airport, the Big Island doesn't appear to be very scenic. But cruising around the island in your PT Cruiser (does anyone actually own one of these or are they all rental cars?), you'll soon discover that many of the best spots require a bit of effort to get to. Whether it's driving for miles down a developing country-esque road with vague directions, kayaking across a bay, or hiking across lava fields, it's a D.I.Y. island and great for those seeking nature and adventure.