Via Ferrata Mount Kinabalu

Borneo Travel Blog

Monkey Cup
Since last January, I had wanted to experience the Via Ferrata on Mount Kinabalu. And when the opportunity arose, I took it without hesitation.

What intrigued me about the activity was the opportunity to take pictures of the mountain, of which I have never taken before. Having climbed the mountain 3 times previously, I thought that it was not necessary to push myself up the mountain. Its like, having a holiday 3000 feet above sea level.

History of Via Ferrata can be found on http://www.mountaintorq.com/History/viaferrata.html

Anyway, I was in a group of 13 young swimmers, hiking up the mountain. Took us 6 hours to reach Laban Rata rest hut, where dinner was served. Again, I emphasize swimmers. After dinner, we headed up to Pendant Hut (3270m) or accommodation for the night, and where we had our briefing.
Sunset from Pendant Hut
Those who opted to go to the peak, woke up at 2am, and I opted to sleep in. Woke up at 5am and started hiking up to the meeting point of the via ferrata at Sayat Sayat hut (3668m). Arrived at about 7am, and started cheering people as they ascended from the peak.

There is a cut off time for starting the Via Ferrata activity, and that was 8am, due to many reasons, that there might be fog etc etc. Out of the 13 people, only 6 of us did the Via Ferrata Activity. Only 3 made it to the peak. Undoubtedly they are swimmers.

We hiked to the starting point, which wasn't too far down from the hut, and began what seemed to be the most dangerous experience I have ever experienced, next to sitting at the back of a Tuk Tuk, in Thailand.

We were all geared up with a helmet, what they call the brain bucket, the the harness (chasity belt), and the lanyard (the scorpion).
Sunrise. Walking up to Sayat Sayat Hut
We were also linked together with a secondary safety rope, 3m apart from each other. We started the "Walk the Torq" moving horizontally across the mountain, and gradually we were going downwards. About 40 minutes into the "walk", we were faced with two cables. The one above, to attach the lanyards to, and the other to walk on. By this time my knees were shaking, from tiredness and fear. I had no choice but to walk across the "monkey bridge".

Two hours later, we were back at the Pendant Hut. Awaiting us was breakfast, toast, with baked beans, sausages, and hard boiled eggs.

The overall experience was great. It was a little tricky carrying my camera around my neck, and making sure my lens does not hit the granite. I am glad that I was able to experience the via ferrata. Also glad that it is over.

(At the time of writing this blog, 17th December 2008, I am still currently recovering from muscle fatigue in both my legs).

activecamo says:
sweet
Posted on: Sep 28, 2009
reikunboy says:
awesome
Posted on: Dec 21, 2008
Sunset from Pendant Hut
Sunrise. Walking up to Sayat Sayat…
Sunrise. Walking up to Sayat Saya…
Sunrise.
Getting ready for the Walk the Tor…
Getting ready for the Walk the To…
The side of the mountain.
The side of the mountain.
The pegs and cables.