AfricaEgyptCairo

Pancakes in Khan el-Khalili

Cairo Travel Blog

The gate to Cairo: Bab Zuweila
My second day in Cairo. The locals call the city Masr. It was a wonderful day, but it was also the hardest day I ever had on a trip!

It must have been the sudden heat and the crowdedness of Cairo, for halfway the morning I simply broke down. I felt a terrible weakness emptying my body of all energy. I couldn't walk or talk and could hardly shallow food. My travelbuddy pulled me inside a lunchroom for sugarcoated pancakes and orange juice to strengthen me. I must have struggled a whole hour with a small slice of pancake. The rest of the morning we took it easy, visiting a few mosques to lay back on the ground, and I slowly recovered.

It happened in the old city of Cairo. The medina (Khan el-Khalili), also used as a bazar.
A street in Cairo.
A taxi brought us to the northern gate (or so we thought!) so we could traverse the medina all the way to the south. Quite a walk. But halfway we lost our direction. Somehow, the road didn't correspond to the maps in our Lonely Planet guide. We were searching for a particular mosque that simply was not there! Shrugging, we continued our walk till the medina stopped, and then it turned out we were at the northern end! Haha! The taxi-driver must have brought us to southern gate.

A great medina, by the way, to be sure! It is one big medieval block of heritage with numerous shops and mosques. At the southern end (NOT northern :-) ) two huge watchtowers err... tower over Cairo, with the gate (Bab Zuweila) to Khan el-Khalili in between. You can ascent the towers of Bab Zuweila and get a great view over Cairo! And there's a nice mosque to find right after entering the medina.

That afternoon, we went to the Cairo Citadel, or Saladin Citadel, after its builder. It is a big, crusader like fortress, but really not that interesting. By now I was getting a bit more talkative, regaining my strength since that morning. More interesting was the oldest mosque of Cairo: the Mosque of Ibn Tulun. A very basic building, but very large too. Ibn Tulun is basically nothing more than a very large courtyard, with a rather well-known minaret.

We would spend the night in the train! We had booked the train to Luxor, our next destination! It was a real adventure, and I had a hard time trying to get to sleep.
sylviandavid says:
Alarming to have everything shut down....maybe heat stroke?..... glad it worked out. nice blog and nice day description
Posted on: Oct 26, 2010
Khan el-Khalili
Khan el-Khalili
Time to lay down and relax
Time to lay down and relax
The view from the Saladin Citadel.…
The view from the Saladin Citadel…
The Saladin Citadel