Sahara Desert, no Seconds please

Merzouga Travel Blog

gorgous valley we found along the way

No trip to Morocco is complete without a trip to the sahara desert to ride around in a camel and then drinking lots of water and throwing the bottles in the sand.

Basically you rent a hotel in a desert oasis or hang out with some tauregs, they feed you, you sleep, then wake up and you ride around a camal for a few hours, sounds simple right?

Of course a group of twenty something college students could screw up such a simple process.  We arrived to the oasis after a long and beautiful bus ride.  Most of the sahara desert is actually piles of dust and rocks.

camel
  The plan was to check out the merzouga sand dunes, which is the only sandy area of the sahara desert in Morocco. The only guests were us, a french couple, and a saudi stag party. The first thing we noticed was the huge pool in the oasis, so yea nothing better than sitting in a pool in the middle of a freakin desert.

So step 1 was to let the hotel hosts do there thing.  Basically there was a band playing traditional berber music, then came the feast, so we stuffed ourselves, then came the dancing.  yada yada yada the night comes to past.  The only mature people we were with decided to go to bed, and kerry decided to get some wine, the host was pro bono and charged us nothing, and we got plastered in the middle of the freakin' sahara desert in a pool, pretty sweet.

So its getting late and all the ladies went to sleep.

us and a gourge, I'm distracted
... without us of course.  David and I are still awake and we here a noise coming from a room at the edge of the oasis.  Being the idiots we are we stumble in and "all right a saudi arabian stag party".  What a good idea.  SO we walk in, the old saudi dudes are happy to see us.  They give us cigars and we're hanging out, bla bla bla.  Then 2 dancers come in and the party gets started.  This huge guy, about 2 meters tall comes up to me, motions for me to get down on my knees..... he then passes some money to the dancers and they let down their hair and start slapping me with it for about 5 minutes.  Yea I just received a saudi lap dance, sweet!

So we go to bed, which was a mistake cause we had to get up at 5 am to ride camels.... Desert + hangover is a bad combination.  We were taken by all terrain vehicle to the dunes, and were given our camels.

cool a kasbah?
  It was a breathtaking!  We saw the sunrise over the sahara which was amazing, then it suddenly became light and very hot!  One thing that was disappointing was all the piles of plastic bottles littering the desert, shame on you tourists.  I grabbed one and got myself some sahara desert sand that I still have.

I do recommend visiting the Moroccan Sahara, but don't drink to much the night before, do go to saudi stag parties, oooo and the ride there is much more gorgeous than the actual desert so try to get your own car so you can get out and check out the area / atlas mountains.   And if you through your used bottles on the sand, I’ll personally kick your ass!

gorgous valley we found along the …
gorgous valley we found along the…
camel
us and a gourge, Im distracted
us and a gourge, I'm distracted