Haka in Paihia en Waitangi

Paihia Travel Blog

Well here in Auckland its crowded this time with Chinese. Because of the Chinese new year and there is so much to do with that new year. In a few days they have also the lampion festival, and then I'm back in Auckland.
Here in Auckland is very much to see and do. But I mainly walked around and looked and photos (but I later got my photo-card lost Waitaingi Sad Too bad.)

After a few days I wanted Auckland to go to the north, the Bay of Islands. There was also a kind of Maori ceremony on a Waitangi Treathy (the next day Waitangi Day). But you do snorkeling, diving, sailing. There, told them the I-site (tourist office) that there were no more beds in the town, but I was still found a nice campsite just outside the city. In Paihia (the tourist town here), there were so many Maori.
Also on campsite there were a lot Maori. Later, I talked to them and they seemed to a group of children and leaders that the next day would preform a haka. I was a spectator that night in their rehearsal. This was really super cool to children between 6 and 14 years ownmade Haka and Poi's to see it. But not only Maori, there were many white kids who said they do not have Maori blood, but just wanted to honour the Maori culture by taking part.

The next day began with an impressive rowing race between the Maori and the Kiwi. The original Maori in war-canoes and the Kiwi in modern race-canoes. But above the screams of the rowing using Maori's was very impressive. There were a few hundred stalls and few thousands of Maori, Kiwi and trouristen. There were delicious snacks, Haka performances and demonstra tions of making canoes spears, clothing, etc. ..
Later on, the performances on the big stage, and then with music from various countries but also that group of children from the camp. And they had great success and a huge applause. (But unfortunately during the exchange of photo-card my card got lost. And a few hours later when I came back was no longer between the mess and dust hundreds of spectators had left. But a couple of the movies I fortunately still have, however.)

The next day I try the Internet, but it's all over much too busy to even enter. I get that good sailing day with 9 other backpackers and skipper Glen. The group contained from 1 Chilean boy, 1 girl Brazilian, 1 French girl, 2 Danish girls, 2 German girls and father and daughter tjeschie. These girls all seem to know each other and studying in Auckland English language or do an internship. We draw on several islands and learn a bit how sailing works. In a beautiful bay, we anchored and canoeing and snorkeling we what. Then we go after a delicious lunch back. Since I am invited to go along with the ferry to Russell. As we look around and we enjoy the weather. Later when we come back and Ina and Cristina (2 German girls) asked me to eat with them, so we went shopping and cooked in their backpacker hostel. It is simple but has adequate facilities. The next day I go back to Auckland.
Paihia