Waitomo Travel Blog

From Auckland, I went to the south, and on the way down I was told that there are many good trips with caving in Waitomo. So to an i-site I went to get info and I drove to Waitomo Caves.
I have a nice tour booked for the next morning.
I searched for a cabin / hostel searched but I could only find a Backpacker. In this village there are mainly backpackers who have a car and most are touring around for a few months.

The next morning we (Jacob, Cornellia (both German), I and 2 guides went to the caves. First to a shed to gear up and some instructions, then a little further by bus to the entrance.

One by one we went down through an abseil. A small hole where you abseil you must squeeze in several turns in order to be able to go down. And the second abseil (now about 50 meters below the ground) was where my head lamp always knocked against the rock and switched off. That was always complete darkness, good exciting! Then with ropes along a ridge running through corridors and creeping over rocks.

Meanwhile, we have seen beautiful stalchtieten and stalchmieten (and much more that I'm forgetting the name.) After a time we were in a very dark place where we saw nothing with our little head lights. But when a large lamp was lit, we saw a huge space and across it a small tunnel, and trough it a flyingfox cableway from the point where we are!

Buckled up we all went to down the cable. And each time just before we went into the tunnel we all did our lights out. You see nothing, and feels just the wind and speed and it seems to take hours, and suddenly you get with  a swing to a stops at the other end of the tunnel.
So cool!

Then we went a little further and we found big Cave-Wetta's (enormous crickets in total darkness). And we ended in an airlock (to prefent tunnel dehydration by winds through the tunnel to avoid) to go finaly outside and we hiked up the mountain to reach the bus again.

Now I go to the south, to Pueora Forest, to make some nice walks.
photo by: MadeleineGL