Ischgl Snowboarding Trip

Ischgl Travel Blog

This is just a quick run down of the trip.
Austrian Air had a good deal (98 euros roundtrip) from Vienna to Innsbruck. I took a 06:30 flight on Saturday morning and arrived in Innsbruck an hour later. From Innsbruck airport, I took the city bus (F bus - the only bus) to the main train station (about 10 minutes). At the train station, I went downstairs and bought both a train and bus ticket (14.80 euros total) for each leg of the journey from Innsbruck to Landeck (by train) and then on to Ischgl (bus). The train was great. Once you get out of Innsbruck, the scenery is really stunning, with jutting peaks, snow covered trees, frosty streams, etc. The train ride was just over an hour. At Landeck I go off the train and hung out in the cafe for about 90 minutes waiting for the bus to Iscghl (no. 4240), which was only a 54 minute ride, once again through more and more stunning scenery. In Ischgl, at the first bus stop, there is the Information office. Inside, is a map, where you push the button of your hotel and it lights up, so you can easily find it. A 5 minute walk up the street and I arrived at the Hotel Christina (90 euros/night with breakfast included, and a discount on lift tickets). The hotel was really nice. The room was in the back, off the street, with beautiful views out the window. The hotel has an indoor swimming pool and steam room, and nice breakfasts. I rented my snowboard at the Sport Adler just down the street, bought my lift ticket (3-day pass=96 euros/$114) and was on the mountain by 1:30 PM. You can take trail number 60 and actually ski into Switzerland, which I did without realizing where I was going. I spent a lot of time on the eastern runs near the Swiss border on day 1, and on the western runs, (20,21,40,14,37,32) the second and third days. I started with apres ski at Alp Trida Eck (Sattel house) and then headed down to Iscghl on trail number 1. I had a couple of beers at Fire and Ice, then headed over to the Hotel Madeline's Schatzi bar where the crowd was worked up into quite a frenzy, singing songs like "Take Me Home Country Road" and other 70's classics.... At 8PM, apres ski ends and the lights come on, sending everyone out to find food. I found a pub that served pizza and Guiness, which really hit the spot. With too much to drink, I went back to the hotel with the intention of showering and heading out to Pasha, the much talked about nightclub. However, after the nice hot shower, I laid on the bed and woke up the next morning. This turned out to be my modus operandi the next night as well...schnapps induced sleep, and then up bright and early to hit the slopes. Day 3, I boarded from 8:30 to 11:30, went back to the hotel for quick shower and packed and caught the bus back to Landeck to begin the trip back to Vienna. It was a great trip, great snow, no crowds, friendly people and not very expensive. I hope to repeat it again in the near future.