River Kwai Tour

Kanchanaburi Travel Blog

We had booked this tour from New Zealand, and although we really liked being in this area. It was OK, but we felt a bit rushed at times. We hadn't realised we didn't have anything for the second day - as you stay over and apparently we were suppose to book something (banana boat tour or an elephant ride). We really should have only did the one day tour, but we weren't aware. All well.

We visited the watr cemetary and museum first, felt a bit rushed as we really didn't get enough time to have a good look at the museum and also find the 2 NZ graves. If you are going and want to find a certain grave then make sure you email them first and they will find it for you (believe me - makes like a lot easier!)

On the bus ride to the train station, everyone was offered to upgrade their carriage to a nicer one (apparently) with a cushion. It wasn't that much and as it happens, everyone did. Apparently it also meant that we got a special tourist carriage to ourselves as apparently the train can get quite full and there was a possiility we might have to stand. I really don't know whether that was a scam or not, because the train wasn't that full and carriage didn't look that much nicer than the others (apart from the cushion of course). Also, the tour guide drove us nuts. He kept repeating himself over and over again (and I seriously mean over and over and over again). The ride was OK, apart from the trees whipping in your face every now and then.

The hotel we stayed at was lovely. You can find out more about it here. We were in the River Wing room and it was beautiful. So lovely. The Tiger Temple is about 30mins away from it apparently, but when we enquired about having someone drive us or renting a car to get there the lady told us that it would be some ridiculous amount, and at the time we said yes. Later we came to our senses and cancelled it, and the lady (who I thought sounded really rude) said "Oh, what a paaainn. That is not good". We weren't very impressed with the manner. I think they wanted to charge us about $60NZD, it was so high.

The dinner was very very nice and the atmosphere lovely. Even saw some nice bugs and they have a nice walk to a small zoo. Even seen a snake skin on the track! Awesome stuff. We were a bit annoyed at the cleaning staff who called us to ask us to leave as they wanted to clean our rooms! Thought it was rather rude the way it was done.
arlene0725 says:
I actually read some great reviews about the Tiger Temple. The next time I return, I gotta visit this place. You can really hug and kiss the tigers in person. I can't even do that in the states! Your accommodations looks GREAT. I was on a budget and stayed in a floating straw barge. No electricity - I ended up only doing it for one night.
Posted on: May 22, 2008