Ayutthaya Ruins

Ayutthaya Travel Blog

This was definetely a highlight of our trip and a MUST if visiting Bangkok for a few days. We paid about 800BHT each for this excursion through the tour desk, I can't remember the company but they had nice comfortable buses and the tour guide spoke good English.

It was just amazing. Ayutthaya is the ancient capital of Thailand and was a prosperious city for about 417 years, from 1350 �" 1767 (it was previously called Siam). The city was bombed by Burma. I would highly reccomend spending a night here and seeing other ruins, as we only saw the main ones, but passed others which I would have loved to see. The ruins are huge in some cases, and the area is quite vast - of course nothing to the size it previously was.

We headed to the royal palace - Bang Pa-in.
Gorgeous, and I think a must considering it is close. You can hire golf carts to drive around the complex, but I seriously doubt you need one. The area is large but it is doable to see everything if you don't muck around and from memory the hireage of the carts wasn't worth it in my opinion.

The tour also included a cruise down the Chao Phraya river, which in all honesty was OK for the first 30mins, but the entire 3 hours or so was hell. I had thought it would've been nice to see the way people live on the river, which it was, but you get a taste for it within a short amount of time. The food also wasn't that fantastic.

We then met up with Poupee - a Thai student who stayed with us about 10 years ago on an exchange and it was great to see her.
Ayutthaya