Back to Cusco

Cusco Travel Blog

Urumbamba Valley, Peru
Back to Cusco for some more sightseeing...
We toured the Urubamba valley visiting the village of Pisac.  The Urubamba valley offers some stunning views of the peruvian landscape. The village of Pisac is a picturesque town of creole and colonial flair. It has and indian market and craftfair.  On the way to the fortress of Ollantaytambo, we pass many farms of the indegenous people, we see many farmers hard at work, and our driver dodges as a cow runs across the street, luckily the cow and us are safe and we're on our way speeding down the highway. Ollantaytambo was in the days of the Tahuantinsuyo empire a gigantic agricultural, administrative, social, religous, and military complex.
Pisac Market, Peru
I think this was one of my favorite architechtural sites. Again, there are many steps to climb, but the views area amazing. It is very windy and dusty here and the majestic mountains sorround you all around. From above you can see the markets and to the other side valleys. Our last stop is the Chinchero market. There is also an interesting church here. I really enjoyed the a demostration by the indegenous people showcasing their weaving skills. It was interesting to see how they use the shaved llamas hair and dye it with natural products such as vegetables and spices and then make peices of work such as rugs and clothing with different pictures depicting peruvian culture. The techniques and talent are amazing. These people may not read or write but they are very skilled in what they do. I learned so much about this and I loved it.
Oldest Inca street, Peru