Travelling through Philadelphia International Airport

Philadelphia Travel Blog

Interesting display along the walk way to the international flight section

I have traveled through many airports and cities in the United States, but this was a first for Philadelphia. This was my first time in Philadelphia International airport where I was not really visiting just passing through. I was impressed with the airport but not the service provided by US Airways. I dared not complain besides the flight was cheap and it was incredibly cold - I was told being cold affects our emotions limiting the ability to be friendly hahaaa! Do not quote me on that I over heard a professor tell his students so. Nevertheless a little pleasantry never hurt, I kept my remarks to myself and ordered a latte from Starbucks with just enough time to finish my cup before the boarding call was made.

Philadelphia is the birth place of the United States itself, it's popularity precedes it. Even though I have never really traveled to Philadelphia, I have read many articles and history books on Philadelphia, watched many movies made in Philadelphia, let alone the music that so popularly tells of a past of glory. As I walked through the terminal of the Philadelphia airport from one concourse to the other, I noticed that a celebration of the music legends of Philadelphia was ongoing on the terminal wall towards the international flight terminal. I could not help myself so I took a couple of pictures. Philadelphia Airport (PHL) serves one of United State’s largest metropolitan areas with millions of international and domestic flights every year.

It is one of the busiest in the US. Located about 11 kilometers from downtown Philadelphia, it has 7 big terminals with the International terminal looking newly refurbished. I notice however with disappointment that the lavatories are not kept very clean: the passengers do not help by dropping wet paper towels on the floor or toilet paper on the floor . This is something that the airport management could look into, it reminded me of my friend Carol who returning from her Africa travel had complained last year of how “filthy” the airport was. It is funny because prior to my travel, I remember reading an article in which J.D. Power and Associates ranked Philadelphia International Airport as the top large airport in the nation in customer satisfaction. My experience says otherwise and I bet I’m not the only one. After years of travel I have been trough some bad airports including Jomo Kenyatta in Nairobi. Walking through the terminal to the international section gave an impression all was well, but behind doors hmmm. Nonetheless my flight would leave to Amsterdam, so Amsterdam here I come . . .

Africancrab says:
Thanks for sharig Mark. Yes the confusion in the airport is something to be talked about. I honestly think they could do better considering they are such a busy airport. Again thanks for sharing.
Posted on: May 31, 2010
marksreynolds says:
Lena and I used the international terminal when traveling from Baltimore to Athens 3 years ago...and it was NOT a good experience at all!! Mass confusion and disorganization left us and a whole lot of other travelers not very happy as we tried to make connecting flights!!
We will NEVER fly through PHL again!!
The city itself is great though, and we loved driving up there and spending a weekend checking out the sites and all the great places to eat! :)
Posted on: May 31, 2010
Interesting display along the walk…
Interesting display along the wal…
Philadelphia