The week in Seville and my thoughts on the whole experience

Meppel Travel Blog

As this was my first time in Spain I had some ideas about what the place would be like. Most of these turned out to be true. Now I know Seville is only a small part of the country but I will happily go back to see more of Spain, although I would not go back to Seville for the simple reason that I have seen what I wanted to see and I like to discover new places as opposed to revisiting the same ones.

The things I really like about Seville:

The people - they are just so friendly and never gave me the feeling that my inadequate Spanish was a source of entertainment to them. They were always patient and helpful and we always got there in the end!

The food - even though we didn’t find as many tapa bars as we had expected the food at most of them was very good and very well priced!

Transport - basically you get everywhere on foot but there are lots of other options too like the tram, rent-a-bikes and horse drawn carriages.

The history - there is so much history wherever you turn. Churches (lots of them!), city walls, the university, Plaza de España and more.

Feeling safe - I am not someone who scares easily, but I know there are quite a few women out there who are very concerned for their safety walking around somewhere where they are not familiar.

Speed of service - I was amazed coming from a country where we are well known for always being in a hurry that the service in Spain is much quicker. Waiting for food never took long at all. (I could also put this under the next heading)

Things that I had not expected:

Beggars - It still amazes me when I am in a European country to see so many beggars in the streets. This shouldn’t happen anywhere of course and it saddens me that it still does.

Having to walk for ages for food - as Seville is quite famous for its tapas I had expected to find a tapa bar on every corner of the street and many in between. However this is not the case and it can take a while to find one in certain districts.

Staying within my budget! - My sister and I had set ourselves a budget for this holiday and even though we did everything we wanted we stayed well below it. So more money left over for another holiday!

Another good thing about this holiday was getting to spend a lot of time with my sister and enjoying each other’s company. We had lots of fun, learned a lot about each other, and figured out that we can holiday quite well together as we can spend hours together talking or not talking and still enjoying each other’s company. So all in all this was a great trip and I would not hesitate doing something similar again!

oldschoolbill says:
Thank You Thank You!!
Posted on: Mar 10, 2009
Frostbourne says:
A very well written blog. Congradulations Patricia :) Am happy that 1 of your dreams came true.
Posted on: Feb 26, 2009
Petra2111 says:
Nou, je hebt het echt heel erg naar je zin gehad zeg! Geweldig!! Bedankt dat je het wilde delen!!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2009