Day 6 - Another long and exhausting walk and having had enough

Sevilla Travel Blog

Mercado de Feria

I know this entry will shock quite a few people. Today we got up like we did every day (only I woke up at 8 this time), had breakfast like every day, and went into the city like every day. There was obviously a pattern forming here and quite frankly both of us were starting to get a bit bored with this pattern…

We walked to the Feria Mercado, a market which runs almost the whole length of the street “Feria”. We had a quick look around but honestly there wasn’t a lot of interesting stuff for us there, and what was there we wouldn’t be able to bring home anyway.

After this we walked to Alameda de Hércules and sat down for tea and coffee.

Mercado de Feria
The weather forecast had predicted 21 degrees and sun, but as it was very windy it felt quite chilly. Just before moving on we decided to go to the toilet and I went first. I walked into the café and saw two doors: one with the word “privado” (private) and the other with a picture of a man on it. As I thought it might be a unisex toilet but they only had a sticker of a man I opened the door. And what did I see? Basically this was a cupboard with a urinal built into it, the depth probably about 30-40 centimeters. Any man needing to take a leak would have to open the door and do his business without being able to close the door behind him! I am not a shy person but am not sure how comfortable I would be with that…. Anyway, the barkeeper handed me a key to the door marked “privado” and it turned out to be the ladies toilet. It was a little bigger than the men’s so I was able to close the door at least!

After this we walked across the Puente de la Barqueta to the site where the Expo was held in 1997.

Mercado de Feria
All I can say is this: if you’re ever in Seville skip this part. It is rundown, messy, and very very boring. We walked for at least an hour past nothingness, time that was definitely wasted. Eventually we got to Parque de La Cartuja, where we had intended to spend an hour orso just relaxing. Even this park was boring, just a field of nothing. So on we walked, looking for a place to have some lunch as we were starving at this stage! We did not have much luck today and the only place that looked any good had no tables available, so eventually we walked back to Plaza Nueva where we ate a ready made bread roll we bought in a shop.

We were quite exhausted by then and decided to head back to the hostel where we spent quite a few hours reading and on the internet. I slept for a little while too, then had a shower and it took a while for us to draw up the courage to head out again. We came to the conclusion that in both our opinions 4-5 days of Seville is enough, even if you take it easy.

Kid's bicycle seat?
There is a lot to see but not a lot to do so that is really all the time we would have needed.

At around 20.00 we headed out again, this time to Santa Cruz to have some dinner. We ended up at Casa Placido where we had wine and tapas. This tapas bar is situated in a nice alley and the food was nice, service could have been a bit more attentive though. We had quite a serious conversation which was good, we keep learning stuff about each other that way. We got back to the hostel around 22.30.

Kids bicycle seat?
Tower
Tower
Sevilla Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Little gem in the centre of Santa Cruz
This tapas bar is tiny, with only a few tables outside, and I think we were lucky to get there early as we probably wouldn't have gotten a table other… read entire review
Sevilla