Day 5 – 20 degrees, Triana, Plaza de España and Parque de María Luisa

Sevilla Travel Blog

River bank

This morning was the latest I slept in, it was 7 o’clock by the time I woke up. Still way to early but what do you do? Barbara slept quite a bit later and we took our time getting ready for breakfast. By the time we left the hostel is was around 10.00 I think.

First we went across the Puente de Triana and walked past the Capilla del Carmen to Triana, an area of town on the other side of the Rio de Guadalquivir. The first street we got to had some nice shops and by the time we got to the end Barbara had a new pair of shoes and I had a new pair of boots… We went into the post office to get some info and then decided to sit down at a café for a drink.

Barbara on Puente de Triana
They had very nice cakes as well and we couldn’t resist getting one, it had already been about two hours since breakfast don’t forget!

We walked around Triana a bit more but wanted to save the stretch along the river for later as that’s where we had been advised to go for dinner. So we crossed the river again, at the Puento San Telmo this time, and walked to the Plaza de España in a very roundabout way, past the Palacio San Telmo which was founded in 1682 as the original seat of the university, but has changed purpose many times since. We then walked past the current Seville University, which is the largest industrial building erected in Europe in the 18th century as it was originally the cigar factory. We had a look around Plaza de España where some renovations are being carried out at the moment (and most likely whenever anyone visits).

Morning exercises
We got to enjoy some flamenco music while we there, and then we bought an icecream and walked into the park across the road, the Parque de María Luisa. This park was donated to the city of Seville in 1893 by the Duchess of Montpensier, the Infanta María Luisa Fernanda de Orléans. Originally the park formed part of the Palacio de San Telmo. After walking around for a bit we just sat down in the sun and relaxed with something to read for a while. Just before leaving the park I decided to use the public toilet and left my stuff with Barbara. While I was gone someone tried to steal my purse from right beside her! This can happen anywhere of course but so far we had not had any problems like this in Seville so we were a bit shocked to be honest.

We then walked back to the hostel so we could leave all the shopping there, and on the way back lots of police cars passed us with sirens screaming.

Rowing
We saw more and more police, by car, on motorbikes and on foot. As it turned out there’s a soccer match between England and Spain and some fighting had erupted.

We spent a bit of time in the room, Barbara reading and me blogging and chatting, and

we had just decided to go out when something unfortunate happened and it took a little while longer…

When we left we headed for Triana again, as we had heard there were some good places to eat there. One place that was mentioned was Casa de las Flores, and that’s where we ended up.

Capilla del Carmen
I wish we hadn’t though! The view was beautiful across the river, the waiter was friendly enough, but the food was AWFUL! No, to be fair: my food was awful. I just do not enjoy having to peel my food before I can eat it. Apart from that, it was a very small portion and it was very expensive. The wine we ordered was ok but as we finished the food way before the wine and we were still hungry we drank the wine quite quickly and felt it… We had a lot of fun with our Spanish phrasebook and trying to think of conversations we could have with people we met. You would not believe some of the stuff that is in the phrasebook…. When we left we were almost overcharged too, they had added another (very expensive) bottle of wine onto our bill!

Anyway, after dinner we decided to go back to Bodega Gongora where we were a few nights ago for dessert. The same cute waiter was there so we were in luck… We had tea/coffee respectively and dessert, and then another glass of red before heading home for the night…

Petra2111 says:
Jee, je hebt echt heel veel gezien zeg!!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2009
Stevie_Wes says:
I agree with 'Ice', you dangle tantalising unfinished moments in your blogs my friend... first the 'lucky in love' mystery initial 'J' and now the 'unfortunate' incident you draw attention to but never mention... do you leave the cool bits out of the stories you read to the gals too?! ;D
Posted on: Feb 21, 2009
ice4swervin says:
Sounds like a great day... but what was so unfortunate... sounds bad??? I hope everything is OK?
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
Triana Bridge
Triana Bridge
View from restaurant
View from restaurant
Restaurant (maybe we should have k…
Restaurant (maybe we should have …
View from bridge
View from bridge
Sevilla Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Beautifully situated restaurant with disappointing food and service
This restaurant was chosen by us for it's location. As it turned out that was about the only good thing about the place. Situated in Triana, across… read entire review
Sevilla