Alternative scene at Camden

Camden Town Travel Blog

Camden Lock

Today me and my other half decided to visit the infamous Camden markets we have heard so much about. The crowds were absolutely heaving despite the chilly weather. Don't let some of the grim looking photo's of the high street put you off visiting! This area looks a little run down, especially the shop fronts by the Camden Town tube station, some of them look a little shabby but if you are into the alternative scene as we are then it's well worth a visit for the markets alone.

There's loads of fab clothes and jewellery stalls/shops to keep goths, metallers, hippies and any other quirky minded type happy! I picked up some fantastic reasonably priced jewellery and a gorgeous red and white polka dotted summer dress trimmed with black lace.

Is what it says on the sign!
Its about a mile long stretch between Camden Town tube and Chalk Farm tube stations along the Camden High Street with numerous fab shops and market stalls along the way. The nicest area of Camden has to be the Camden Lock market, I bet this is a great place to sip a beer in Summer, however as it was freaking freezing we popped into the Canalside bar and had a lovely but ridiculously small and overpriced cappuccino to warm us up. I made the other half order as I felt stupid asking for coffee in a bar - would rather be having a pint of something :-)

Then it was back to the shopping - again great stalls in here and also in the fab Horse Tunnel market, great arts and crafts on offer, with an array of furniture and ornaments from many different cultures.

I also highly reccommend the grub on offer here, huge portions for only 4 quid - take your pick from Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Italian....the chicken tandoori with rice was yummy and filled us up ready for more shopping :-) All in all a very enjoyable day - I shall definately be visiting here again during the week.

Is what it says on the sign!
Awesome horse sculptures popping o…
Awesome horse sculptures popping …
mmmmm chicken tandoori