Wilkommen in Berlin!

Berlin Travel Blog

After what seemed like an eternity in Paris Charles-de-Gaulle airport, I finally made the final 1.5 hour leg of my flight to Berlin.  I arrived around 3 p.m., and only just moments after picking up my luggage, I was through customs and on the streets of Berlin.  I had originally thought about taking the S-Bahn to Alexanderplatz and then switching to the U-bahn which had a stop just meters (yes, I'm in Europe and with a bunch of Australians and Candians, so I'm speaking in metric system terms) from our hotel.  However, due to my lack of sleep and inability to speak the local language, I just hired a cab to take me directly to my hotel (which wasn't bad at all; the driver was very friendly, knowledgable of the city, and it only cost me 12 Euro!)

I got checked into my hotel, the Best Western City Ost, and had the room to myself for a bit since my rommate had not yet arrived.  I sat around the lobby for a bit because Nardene, Julie, and I had made plans to meet up before our pre-tour meeting at 6.  After our meeting we had dinner just a couple blocks up from our hotel at this little cafe/restaurant that was "outside" in the center of an enclosed shopping mall/executive park.  I had forgotten how good German food is!

After dinner, I went to the top of the Reichstag with a few of the Australians.  After seeing the German Parliament building, we decided to try and find a pub to grab a couple beers and get to know everyone, but as we got closer to the hotel, everyone decided to just go to bed, so our pub group that night ended up being Michelle and Chris from Oz, Ed from Toronto, and me.

photo by: CFD