White Christmas Wine Tasting

Tucson Travel Blog

Who says we can’t have a White Christmas in Tucson? We met at Catavinos where Yvonne featured white wines with a Holiday theme. We tasted six different white wines ranging from $11.99 to 13.99. MUSCADET SEVRE ET MAINE (Chateau La Sablette - Made in Melon de Bourgogne, France). 100% Melon de bourgogne. Aromas and flavors of flinty lemon peel, hummus and yeast. Very minerally.

• SAUVIGNON BLANC (LaPlaya winery - Made in Limali Valley, Chile). 100% Sauvignon Blanc. Aromas of grass and floral notes. Flavors of lemon, and lime with nice acidity and a medium bodied finish.
  • CASA VIVA CHARDONNAY (Casa Del Bosque - Made in Santiago, Chile).
    100% Chardonnay. Elegant peach, melon, vanilla aromas with a touch of apricot.
  • "MI AMIGO" FINCA PASION from Mendoza, Argentina. 100% Torrontes. Flavors of Citrus f ruits and orange zest with a light body
  • "SWANKY WHITE" from Sonoma, California.  A mix of Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Mucat Canelli and Chenin Blanc.  Aromas of apricots, peaches, lavender and Orchid blossoms. Flavors of fresh lime, apples, grapefruit and lemon grass.
  • "BON BON" from Adelaide Hills in Australia. 100% Shiraz. Flavors and aromas of cherries, strawberries, fresh fruit with some sweet caramel notes.

I'm not a white wine drinker and since I was seriously medicated, I ended up  not drinking any of the wines tasted this night. I tasted a little Red wine: Primavera - Vinho Tinto red wine from Portugal. I must confess this is the first wine from Portugal I have tasted and I was pleasantly surprised. I will try  more of the Portuguese wines and see how much I like them. In the mean time I have taken an acute liking to Chile and Australian wines.

Africancrab says:
You are right Bernard, thanks I made that correction.
Posted on: Mar 26, 2010
bernard69 says:
May I tease the crabbie?I think that the Muscadet is made in Loire valley (if not it is not a Muscadet)with grapes named Melon de Bourgogne(Burgundy):)
Posted on: Dec 23, 2008
Africancrab says:
Yes Chile wines have turned out to be very good, I have bought a few for my wine rack at home. I may try a few more of the Portugese wines and see. Thanks for the comment
Posted on: Dec 23, 2008