Monterey Peninsula

Monterey Travel Blog

The Wharf, Monterey, California
Monterrey is a very nice area of California. There is a pier/wharf, an aquarium, beaches, shopping, and dining to be found here. It was very cold when we were there but we still saw many surfers out in the strong waves. Pacific Grove is even prettier with it's majestic cliffs and waves crashing against the rocks, pretty pink wildflowers and historic houses. Point Pinos Lighthouse is very small but cute.  There are also deer everywhere, we saw a bunch in the local cemetary eating up the flowers!!! Carmel is a artists paradise. The town has lots of art galleries and little botiques everywhere, there are some artistic sculptures in the park and you can even see an artist or 2 with an easel on one of the blocks calmly painting their next subject. I loved this place, I think I'd like to retire here.
Monterey, California
..but first I'd have to probably be rich =( to afford it. A visit to the Point Lobos State Preserve was quite amazing, it's absolutely worth the visit. The beauty of the lone cypress trees against the huge cliffs and the ocean and sea gulls flying around is something you don't see much. I love nature, so this was exciting for me. We lost track of time and braved the pacific coast highway at night. This area is known for bad fog and poor visibility and it was horrible the whole way. This road is classified as the most dangerous highway in the whole US. So why was I driving on it at night? B/c I needed to get to the hotel in San Simeon, 80 miles away!!! This took me about 4 hours to drive b/c the road winds and winds in curves along the cliffs and if you look to your right the cliffs drop off into the ocean, one wrong move and your kaboom!!! And to make it worse, b/c of the terrible fog I was only able to see maybe 2 ft in front of me, how scary. Everybody, let it be known, do not drive this dangerous road at night, unless you are a very confident and brave individual and then may the force be with you!!!
Monterey