Final day of the Arctic Adventure.

Tromso Travel Blog

footprints in the snow!

As we had been out very late the night before we had a long lie in and didn’t leave the hotel until about 2pm. Our plan was to go to walk across to the Arctic Cathedral before going to the Tattooists at 6pm.

We decided to walk to the other side of town (away from the city centre) to see if we could get some good photos of the mountains.  However we walked as far as we could before realising we were about to enter a building site so had better turn back.

We had nearly made it back to our hotel when Jude and I both slipped on some (invisible) ice and fell in a spectacular heap on the floor…  thankfully no one was around to see it, and in addition to my tattoo I have a lovely bruise on my leg as a souvenir from my trip to Tromso!

I decided that as I was in pain, now would be a good time to try out the local beer, we (carefully) walked to the nearest pub and ordered a glass of Mack beer… which is very nice!

Once the beer had numbed the pain in my leg we headed over to the Arctic Cathedral.

The view of the town from the bridge is stunning and the cathedral is even more amazing up close as it is from a distance.  As the stained glass window was being repaired we did not go in the Cathedral, we just had a walk round the outside.

We walked back into town and went to the tattooists where I had to remove several layers of thermals before my back was exposed!  After having spent the last few days wrapped up in thermals, ski trousers and ski jackets I was quite cold just sat there in jeans and a vest top… but it was worth it.  I am now the proud owner of 3 snowflakes!  I had them tattooed under my aquarius symbol, so it kind of goes with the whole water theme… frozen water in the Arctic!

As it was our last evening in Tromso we went back to Solid for a hot chocolate, then we pushed the boat out and had a cocktail (mmmmm) before going back to our hotel to pack and have an early night.

Our flight was at 7am and we were aiming to get to the airport for 5.30am…….

We woke up the next morning at 4.40 am (ugh) and were in the hotel reception to check out at 5.15am… I think we scared the hell out of the guy on reception who was watching TV at the time!  By 9.30am we were back in the UK and back in the rain… no snow anywhere :(  maybe it’s time to start planning another trip back to Norway for Winter 2009…!

tvillingmarit says:
See you made it to The Arctic Cathedral
Posted on: Dec 10, 2008
footprints in the snow!
See that really nasty bit of ice a…
See that really nasty bit of ice …
Viking Hotel... Love it!