Trekking and Kayaking

Cat Ba Travel Blog

Overslept today and our guide (I can NEVER remember names) came knocking at our door to wake us up for breakfast which turned out to be shitty egg and bread (no pho). We then transferred to Cat Ba Island for our 'trek'. Oh my god. It was supposedly only 225 metres but there were stupid inbuilt steps that half killed me. I realised how unfit I am. Finally reached the top and as I said "It feels like rush hour on the London Underground." It was just loads of tourists. Not even backpackers. Just poxy tourists. In the end we clambered through a bush onto some dangerous looking rock where we found a single flip flop and looked for a body. No tourists there.

Transferred to our REALLY nice hotel 'Sun and Sea' which gave us a massive real bed (no sponge) each and a huge bathroom with working shower that I could spend all day in. Gosh, I’ve quickly become accustomed to appreciating the small things in life now!

Onto kayaking, which turned out to be a pain in the ass. Or arms should I say, and back. And thumbs. Dutchy and Dutchess (the food stealers) were well good, and the guide.  However me and Livi, simply put, were not. Got to monkey island and Livia and I decided to swim in the sea floating in our life jackets. Laziness to the extreme, I know. Later on back on the kayak she jumped straight in the middle of the ocean and I drifted off because I can't kayak very well. Well that’s my story for leaving her floating in the middle of the sea anyway...

Cat Ba