Ranong Travel Blog

On Saturday by the time we got to Ranong, found a guesthouse, had a shower, and walked around/catching pick up trucks to the stupid immigration office- it was closed! It was only like 4.30pm and they made up some excuse about how by the time we got over to Burma and back it would be late and both offices would be closed and we’d be stuck! Argh! I tried explaining that we needed to go NOW because our visas expired- so obviously upon hearing that they were definitely closed so we’d have to pay the fine! I don’t know why it was so hard to find, because afterwards I realised there was a MASSIVE sign on the building, but it was like at the end of town near the river where all the fishing boats and stock houses were and we were just walking around for ages smelling the beautiful smell. Ugh, do NOT go to Ranong unless you have to- it proper stinks! So bad. There was this one like… debris field and it smelt like dead rotting bodies and I was almost sick. Oh yeah, we saw like the ice-trucks as well (you know, those filthy dirty trucks that transport massive blocks of ice around all the time melting and leaking out- you know, the nice ‘clean’ ice that then goes in our drinks- yay!) and the ice handling factory where these people where just shovelling ice chips with their hands and like STANDING in it. No more ice for me, thank you.

Today we finally got through immigration, paid the stupid fine, and jumped/fell onto a boat. Got to Burma and it was so odd. I could just feel it was different. Everyone was all over us like usual, and we struggled with their immigration because you have to pay with crisp American dollars, mine had the tiniest fold in it and they were like “NO NO” so thankfully Livia had some clean ones that they accepted. Then we had to get a million photocopies of passports and photos and what not and had to leave our passports there for a while, while they sorted it all out. So we went for a little stroll around and settled in a little café where they accepted Baht as well. Got talking to some old man and he gave us an old note of their currency, it’s not used anymore, so it’s a nice little souvenir. We then went back the other way through all the processes again, and got the hell out of dodge. We headed over to Khao Lak, a place which was tragically devastated by the tsunami in 2004. It was good to see that most places had being rebuilt, and was quite a booming place to be honest; everyone seemed to be coping quite well. We found a place to bed down for the night and organised motorbike rental for the next day. We’re planning on going to Khao Sok national park, do some camping and trekking and that sort of thing.

photo by: Deats