No Escape From Sapa

Sapa Travel Blog

Woke up early for our bus. Checked out and had to get on a motorbike to take us to the bus stop and I was like "No! I'll walk" and they were like "No! It's far" (apparently everything in Asia is far) so Livia and I and the motorbike guy all got onto one bike (!!!) with our (smaller) bags. Turned out to be a minute down the road (?!) Anyway, we got stuck in another landslide queue and then some guy gave Livia his phone. Long story short when I checked out I left her passport on the chair. Oops. We were told somebody would come with it. No show. The bus started moving and we were like "Khonggggg"(Noooo) so we physically jumped off the moving bus 'Speed' style. Then started walking dow the mountain road. Official hatred for Fansipan now. Couple of minutes later we saw Bics on a motorbike with the passport and Livia gave her an awkward hug.

Got back to Sapa like an hour later and decided to go to Baguettes and Chocolat as a treat (this really nice French bakery thing) so we got omlettes and quiches and cookies and profiteroles for breakfast. Half our daily budget gone! We ended up spending the rest of the day finding out if there was a local bus service to Dien Bien Phu. No luck. Booked another bus through a tour agency for $13. Gulp. Went back to Family Hotel and got dinner on the cheap.

photo by: Paulovic