On The Midnight Train To China (Nanning)

Guangzhou Travel Blog

Woke up well early again today. Had a shower for the first time since HK. We decided it the hair sticks in the same position it's time to wash. Just lazed around on the computer working out bus routes to Hanoi. Livia slept until like 11 and we checked out at 12. Hung around for a while as we had nothing to do. Said our goodbyes to Cassidy and left. He was looking at flights from Hanoi to Kuala Lumpar so we might see him again.

Later on the train: Hard sleepers.

Was so confusing trying to find it but thankfully there were some English numbers so we could read part of it. We got middle bunks and the bed wasn't THAT bad. No English of fellow backpackers. Everyone seems friendly enough which is a nice comparison to the usual stares. This guy helped move our bags on the luggage rack which is harder than it sounds since it's level with the 3rd tier bunk. No chance of getting anything out apart from my day pack which thankfully I randomly shoved my toothbrush, hair brush, and deodorant in. As soon as we started moving to the outskirts we saw people working on the rice paddies and little minority shack villages. This is the start of our trip proper. This is what it's about; the travel, the adventure, the people. Don't get me wrong, I really liked HK, but at the end of the day it was just another city and that's not what I came for. Train kept stopping which is probably why it takes like 13 hours in total. We're by some random house/soldier thing with chicken looking things in the garden (again 'thing' being the main adjective because of uncertainty) There's some guy in the next compartment with like no eye/it's just really infected.

We tried asking for water and the guy who helped us with the bags girlfriend told us how to say it. She then showed me her phone dictionary in English and I nodded. Then she gave us her own fresh bottle of water! And did the whole "No, no, keep it" thing. I totally get what Cassidy said about how you can have a conversation/ play a game even with the ever-lasting language barrier.

Guangzhou