Malls and Markets

Bangkok Travel Blog

We decided to purchase a bus map which is VERY useful for navigating around since all the buses destinations are only written in Thai. Got the bus to the MBK Centre which is one of the more reasonably priced (read: expensive) shopping malls around Siam Square- not quite as hi-so as Siam Paragon. It was really HUGE with cool escalators and food court on each floor! Some restaurant called Birds and Bees was giving out delicious samples of crepes. We went in and I had a kiwi shake, and Livia had some other thing, but we liked each other’s better so swapped. I love travelling with Livia, she’s like the yang to my ying… or something like that.

After that we carried on around the MBK centre and ended up in a market type bit and then a WHOLE floor of electronics with fake iPods and the like.

Soon we got on the the sky train and went to Chatuchak weekend market which is like the biggest market in the universe or something. We were there for literally HOURS and I bought a really cool beach dress, and oh lord, the best the cappuchino shake EVER for 30B. IT was like a proper milk shake, none of that water stuff and had CREAM, hundreds and thousands, and a cherry on top- oh yeah, and a flake wafer thing. So going back.

Spent the rest of the time going round in circles and not finding a tent in any of the camping sections (oh yeah, I want to buy a tent so we can camp in the South/Malaysia). Watched some Thai guy ‘rock out’ on his guitar. I think he was drunk. When 6pm was getting close, I quickly went back to the main bit to see everybody and everything stand still was the National Anthem. It was so surreal watching how crazy busy and chaotic everything was one minute, and then just dead still and silent the next.

photo by: halilee