Leaving Sapa At Last

Lai Chau Travel Blog

After embarassing ourselves with nearly everybody in the town (it really is so small) we finally managed to leave. After getting Bics contact info (she has facebook- so cool!) The bus was ful of English speaking people. We ended up sitting next to Weymouth (I think his name was Gary but we call people by where they come from) We stopped off for lunch in Muong Lay which ended up taking 2 hours so we didn't get to Dien Bien Phu until dark despite getting on the bus at 8am!

Checked into some place (Viet Hoang) for 100,000 dong, right opposite the bus station. Got some yummy stir fry and strawberries (not mixed together, it wasn't that weird) Then we had beers with Weymouth, Irish, and Aussie. Well, we practically had to force the beers from this lady, "5 bia please" (in almost Vietnamese/sign language- pointing to beer and holding up 5 fingers... simple enough?) She brought out some other drink "Khong, bia" so she brought out 3, finally managed to get 2 more. I needed the toilet and as Weymouth said "Use her's, it's a really interesting journey actually". I was a bit confused until I walked through her serving area, through some long narrow corridor and through a bedroom that had 4 beds (but as far as I could tell she was alone, and wasn't a guesthouse) and finally got to the squat toilet in the dark.

Lai Chau