Leaving Cambo

Kompong Cham Travel Blog

We had booked a bus through a tour agency to take us to Kampong Cham (we’re leaving Cambodia to get to Laos. We thought it would be a day journey…) It was one of those rickety tin can things with a serious lack of suspension and no leg room due to a broken seat that was permanently reclined onto me. Thankfully, that was only taking us to the Siem Reap bus station where we got onto a bigger bus that was for once, not crowded. Arrived in Kampong Cham at about 2pm and was hoping to get another bus straight to Stung Treng but unfortunately they didn’t have any afternoon buses.

Found a grimey hotel near the scary dark dog infested market. Ate dinner with some Cambodian’s who we had a nice Khmenglish conversation with. There was another CD shop along the main road and we sang again the ‘mud mud mud’ song to him and he actually recognised it! So we bought this whole mix CD that has other cool Khmer songs on it. Back in the market we got fruit-shake-in-a-bag and meat-on-a-stick (good combo) whilst some small children tugged on my shorts asking for money. They always make me feel really bad because I never know how to fully react in these situations, I mean, if I give money or food to them, then they get fed for tonight, but what about tomorrow, next year even? I also feel it’s the government’s way of ignoring the poverty situation; they rely heavily on tourists giving money to homeless and disadvantaged people. Anyway, the fruit-shake lady told me to not give them anything so I took her advice and passed my guilt onto her. Got back to our ‘hotel’ and fell asleep to ‘mud mud mud’ blasting out of the shop across the street.
Kompong Cham