Khmer Rouge

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

So, it's day 50 today. I've been gone from Enfield, London, UK, Europe for 50 days and I still don't miss it in the slightest. In fact, I hate it more than I used to. Prices, attitudes, and landscapes are all crap. There's loads of official minitry building here in Phnom Penh that are like temples, very unlike the grey block of Enfield Civic Centre. I can't believe I've gone to 4 very different countries so far (well 5 if you included my 30 minute joyous airport occasion in India- which I really want to travel around more than the airport).

Anyway, today we actually did ome sight seeing. We got a tuk tuk driver to take us to Choeung Ek (killing fields) and back for $6. After a very bumpy ride and almost falling out a dozen times, we arrived. Choeung Ek is where the Khmer Rouge took their victims after torture to be killed. Men, women and children. Whoever disobeyed. The man in charge, Saloth 'Pol Pot' Sar, was a 'communist'. He wanted a communist movement so extreme that he became a dictator and it was more like Capitalism than before. On site there was a tall glass tower with the skulls found in some of the mass graves. As we were walking around we could still see bones and clothes pertruding from the mud. Many of the graves were dug by the prisoners themselves, before being burried, sometimes alive.

After that, we went to the Russain Market, which was just hot, sweaty and expensive. Then we went to Tuol Sleng (S-21) museum which is a former secondary school- made torture camp by the Khmer Rouge. There were alot of photos on display showing all the horrific things that happened to them as well as a mug shot of all the prisoners. It was quite disturbing like the War Remnants museum (HCMC) but only this was done by their people and it wiped out like a quarter of the population.

Went back to hotel and booked our bus to Kep.

Phnom Penh