The Journey to Son La

Son La Travel Blog

Had a nice lay in today- well, tried to. Still woke up ridiculously early thank to the cockerels and dogs and motorbikes and people getting up for their 6am buses. Finally got ready for about 11.30 and bought some manky biscuit things for the journey. We hadn't had breakfast and thought these would suffice for the supposed 4 hour bus journey. Bad mistake (I realise now I'm meant to learn from mistakes and not repeat them) Another Vietnamese bus journey, i.e. squished up sharing my seat with 4 other people staring and taking photos of me. My phrase "toi khong nhieu" (I don't understand) popped up alot. My Vietnamese is quite good now and I often find us correcting other westerners on the pronunciation of cam on (thank you)

Finally got to Son La at about 6pm (6 hours, yes) and loads of people got onto our bus and were pulling at my trousers asking if I needed to go to Hanoi/Ninh Binh/need a bed all at the same time. Alot of people seem to do that- offer you alot of random shit you don't need. Most time we go into a shop for water and they pick up some random magazine or something and start nodding crazily.

Walked around for ages no thanks to the shitty Rough Guide maps. Finally got to Lan Chung for 120,000 dong a night (pushing the boat out now) Went and got some really yummy meat on a stick for 10,000 and manky instant noodle pho for 8,000. As we were leaving we got some more meat on a stick that turned out to be fat. At least it wasn't dog.

Son La